Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now

on 2 November 2008
I bought this book whilst writing my dissertation at University. My subject was medieval medicine, and of all the books I read during my research this was the most accessible and informative.
The book contains an introduction to the subject itself as well as to the idea of The Trotula and what it consists of. After explaining simply but concisely what the context and purpose of the text was it then provides an extremely well translated selection of texts.
The Trotula compendium consists of three main parts - Book on the Conditions of Women, On Treatments for Women, and On Women's Cosmetics. Each of these has been presented as a seperate text, and each is fascinating and informative.
The book would, I feel, be suitable for anyone wishing to learn more about medieval medicine as it related to women, both as practitioners and recievers of treatment. Although I came to it as a student I think that it has been presented in such a way as to make it readable to just about anyone - absolutely no prior knowledge of the subject is required, and the translation is straightforward and clear.
This is an excellent book, and has finally made a crucial part of both medieval and medical history readily available for use in research or just for casual reading.
on 21 April 2013
I used this to do my dissertation this year, absolutely excellent for university students or for anyone who has an interest in medieval medicine.
on 23 October 2014
Specialised reading only. You would have to be very interested in medieval medical history to gain anything from it.
on 15 March 2015