Customer reviews

HALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERon 19 February 2010
Sanjay Patel's take on the classic Sanskrit epic is refreshing and engaging. Adapted and written in a lighter prose, the book is inviting to any readers who want learn more about the tale. The story is fascinating and gets increasingly so towards the end, with lots of nice surprises. For someone like me who knows nothing about any Hindu stories, I felt like I know a lot more after reading this book.

The story is well paced and laden with beautiful illustrations. Each page is filled with scenes of glorious colours -- nothing less for this colourful tale. The characters are also nicely designed. The vector style drawings (known for straight lines and smooth curves) are unique, especially when used to tell mythical tales, and work very well in this case.

Sanjay Patel also talked a bit about the making of this book. It took four years in the making, or 7 days per page. Vector drawings are very time consuming because it involves plotting and joining points using a graphic software to form (countless) lines. Basically you have to draw the draft and redraw everything again in vector with the scanned draft. Hats off to him for this tremendous piece of effort.

Also included at the back are some sketches of the preliminary ideas. Pretty fun to look at. The cartoon style interpretation of some scenes will give you an idea what the book could have turned out to be if not done in vector style.

This is a fun and nice read. I don't know if this book is intended for kids but it's certainly a book anyone can like.

(There are more pictures of the book on my blog. Just check my Amazon profile for the link.)
on 24 March 2011
I was unfamiliar with Sanjay Patel's work before purchasing this, though as an avid follower of Parka's reviews and after seeing some of the book's content I bought it. Even after reading such a positive review I was still pleasantly suprised when this arrived. It is a massive book, packed with wonderful illustrations that flow well together. The spreads leap out at you and are artfully arranged to lead your eye around them. The images are bold and energetic, and while I had no idea of the Ramayana story I did know it would be a massive project to undertake. Patel excels at telling an exciting, complex story, keeping the pace without oversimplifying or confusing readers. An excellent book.
on 26 January 2015
 Wonderful illustrations by Sanjay Patel, with a unique grapich style look. The style is not for all the people.. Although is quite wonderful to see and notice the amount of dedication and hard work put in this wonderful book.
Sanjay Patel has a unique and memorable style of modern art
on 3 March 2012
This is a beautiful book. It is visually captivating and every page is just gorgeous.
If I have a criticism it is that the story is a bit too brief and could have been developed a bit more. However the author himself says in the introduction that he isn't a fan of words, more of pictures, so it is perfectly in that mode !
I bought it to introduce the kids to an important part of their heritage and they love it.

Would recommend to anyone interested either in hindu retelling for the modern age, or for the imagery.
on 7 October 2014
This was a joy to look at! The graphics were out of the world but on the hind side the story line was a let down. Many key components of the story were missing or were represented 'awkwardly'. I bought this book for my son, and he thought this is really 'cool' so it is great way to get them interested in the great epic Ramayana.
on 3 September 2013
Delivered in good time scale, was what I was looking for, great for someone like me with no prior knowledge of these stories, good explanations if a little bit too basic but still alot of info delivered in a fun modern accessible way. Would be good for reading with kids aswell I think, the illustrations are bright and fun.
on 11 February 2012
An absolutely amazing work of art by Sanjay Patel! I picked this book up this afternoon to read a few pages, but I just couldn't put it back down! Completely mesmerised by the beautiful artwork and playful story telling. Next stop for me; Little Book of Hindu Deities! Bravo Sanjay, Bravo.
on 19 June 2015
This is an amazing book, the way it is illustrated is simply beautiful.
I was looking for a book on Ramayana that would appeal to my 5 year old son - what a result, we have been reading it every night, on his request.
He loves going through the book too.
on 23 June 2011
This illustrated book breathes new life into the great tale.
Wonderful little details, breathtaking illustrations, this is a beautiful book to own and cherish.
Sanjay Patel, you little Indian genius!
on 21 March 2013
The illustratrations convey the jist of Ramayana.Very humourus&beautiful .Easily understandable by children.&foreigners.The author has rertained reverence for this Hindu Epic story &Hindu God Rama