Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now

on 28 August 2014
A masterpiece. I own many bread books but this is the best, by far. My baguettes are now the best in town!
on 20 September 2013
This was recommended to me by an artisan baker in the UK at a one day course I attended. It did not disappoint. Very clear instructions to follow with pictures at every stage so you can see if you're getting it right. Plus the background info you need to understand the process and adapt your timings to suit. Don't be put off by it looking complicated at the start, it really isn't once you've understood the process. The only step I can't replicate is the look of the final dough after shaping, which is odd as it looks ok up to that point! It does say shaping is the hardest part with such a wet dough though, so guess more practice is needed. Using a cast iron Dutch oven to cook the loaf in really does make the difference it says.
on 12 June 2016
After being given this book by my girlfriend 3 years ago, I gave it a go and then after a few pancaked loaves left it on the shelves to gather dust.

This year I decided to give it another go. Now I am producing sourdough loaves regularly and have even been coerced into baking some for my colleagues. I highly recommend this book, not just for learning the art of sourdough baking, but to also learn the ins and outs of baking.

My one criticism is that paying attention to your conditions and your environment is not stressed enough at each stage. It took me a while to realise that a starter culture in an English winter needed four times the amount of time to ferment than the book suggests - hence the failed attempts early on.

This is now also the book I gift the most and is one of my most prized possessions.
on 25 March 2013
I was a little intimidated by the pages and pages of instructions and how long and drawn out not only the process of creating and stabilising the starter but developing the dough but I'm hooked. I tried a spelt version of the basic recipe and it's the the best textured, tastiest bread I have ever tasted. I'm hooked! (Bought the dutch combo pan from Divertimenti but could use a Le Crueset as well.) Good news is that now I have the kit and the starter ready to go, I will feed it daily and bake with it as often as possible.
on 11 March 2014
I have been making bread for a long time, reading up in books, blogs, testing recipes... But this book takes bread making to another level. My bread is now top baker quality and I am not showing off.
A definite must if you want to make the best sour dough loaf (and quite a few other things).
on 20 December 2015
If you not only want to make wonderfully textured, great tasting bread, but understand the process behind it, then this is an excellent book. Step-by-step photos and instructions as to how to make the easily-manageable starter ( much more useful than the tried and failed processes I've attempted in the last 2 years!) right through to finished loaf. Excellent.
In addition, it's a very tactile book, well photographed, and with many extra recipes to use up 'leftover bread' ( not a that there's much left over in our house right now).
Might be a little too much for those who have never baked bread before, but it's a great resource, interesting, and well- written, including the narrative of Chad Robertson's bread making voyage.
Highly recommended. Now, where's that dough go to?
on 10 July 2016
I've just discovered the art of bread making (I know, where have I been?!) and as I grew up in San Francisco I was naturally drawn to Chad Robertson's tribute to this branch of baking. There is more information in this book than I can digest at the moment, being a beginner baker, but boy is there a lot to get my teeth into and some serious inspiration. I loved the photography and overall production of the book, too. Great to sit round the kitchen table with a fresh brew of tea and devour these recipes!
on 24 June 2011
We have recently moved from Grenoble,France to Edinburgh, Scotland and were missing the delicious bread we could find so easily in France. So, I bought this book as a gift for my husband. He really enjoyed the process from creating his own starter to tracking down his own wild yeast. A real bread adventure. We had our first loaves this week and I can honestly say, very French-esque! We had also been to Tartine on our honeymoon so we are quite partial to all things Robertson/Prueitt.
on 3 October 2016
I bought this book having read other reviews but clearly misunderstood because I thought it was purely a sourdough book, which it isn't. However the section on sourdough is excellent and the tartine method, much to my surprise really does work. It's a bit of a faff having to keep washing your hands and stretching the bread so often but the resulting loaf is worthwhile.
on 22 December 2016
I bought this book for my son and liked it so much that I bough a copy for myself. The book itself is a thing of beauty, it exudes quality and the photographs are artistic and illustrative. It is also one of the best guides to sourdough bread making that I have found. It uses the "Dutch oven" (basically a lidded casserole pot) technique to retain moisture during the early part of the bake. This seems to be a process used in the US by artisan home bakers and I have found it the most successful way to bake sourdough at home. I haven't tried all the recipes, for me you can't beat a lovely freshly baked white sourdough but there are plenty of other recipes to try. Very highly recommended.