on 12 October 2017
wonderful book with gorgeous photos. bought as a gift and i recommend it for any bread lovers out there.
lovely touch is that the book itself is soft/padded (although it is a hardback) as a loaf of bread would be.
on 9 July 2017
Brilliant book. He should have stopped at this one. Although little patronising this one too.
on 1 September 2017
It's a great book and if I can follow the recipes and get success, anyone should be able to do that too.
on 30 June 2017
Love this book / Used it constantly
on 14 May 2017
Perfect book just what I wanted. Thank you..
on 29 July 2016
Fantastic book
on 29 October 2017
Love this book. Love the bread! Buying my second one as a friend loved it so much that she never returned it to me after borrowing.
on 1 February 2012
If like me you have a passion for really great bread, then understanding the author's own passion is for me an essential aspect of his recipes. The first part of the book (a chapter you can skip if you like) takes you on a journey of his discovery and bread baking apprenticeships. For me this set the whole scene for what was to come and gave me a deeper appreciation for the slightly different styles and techniques which followed.

Chad outlines techniques and timings that other books leave out. I have many many books on the subject of making bread and this is the only one that gives you a real understanding of WHEN the starter/leaven/dough is ready to move on to the next stage in order to maximise flavor and rise. A complete eye-opener!

I simply can't recommend this book enough and will definitely be visiting the bakery store when I am next in San Francisco.
22 Comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 January 2015
Super book, padded for comfort, great pics, super recipes , really nice sourdough starter and knead not fold instructions. Like Dan Lepard, uses a gluten developing technique which works well for wet doughs and doesn't need brute force or muscle power. I use the country loaf recipe over and over with tweaks and have made some solidly good everyday sourdough.The chart of bakers percentages is really useful. Also Chad is a pleasing guide for his journey into breadmaking, good travelogue bio and make sit all seem possible.
on 23 September 2012
I've been a breadmaker for over 40 years ever since we moved from Paris (yes, that one) to Raleigh NC in 1972 and realized that there was no substance on sale that resembled bread. (Wonder Bread is neither). Over this whole time period I have been learning (slowly) how to make better bread. There are many excellent guides to follow -- Dan Lepard, Joe Ortiz, Peter Reinhardt come to mind. Now I teach breadmaking classes to home cooks for fundraisers for my favorite charities.

So when I bought Tartine I really didn't expect it to have so much impact on my breadmaking. But Chad Robertson's method is so well described and so simple to follow that I am rethinking my whole approach to bread. My starter is nearly 20 years old, but who knew one could make a whole batch of wonderful wholemeal sourdough with just one tablespoon of starter?

Yes. the method takes time but most of it is elapsed time and the process is actually simpler than classical kneading. Start with the first recipe but don't stop there --- the variations are wonderful. Most bread makers are obsessive and Chad is no exception --- but the conseqences of his obsession are compelling and will absolutely make you a better bread baker.

Dan Lepard's Handmade Loaf, Joe Ortiz' Village Baker and Peter Reinhardt's Crust and Crumb are all invaluable additions to a breadmaker's library and they have much in common with Tartine -- but Chad takes it a little further. If you have a serious interest in bread making (or want to start at the top) run, don't walk to buy this book and start baking. You'll be more than happy that you did.