on 15 August 2014
Very funny well-written book. Also informative. People who own / ride a bike will love this.
VINE VOICEon 16 January 2011
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a collection of the writings of the blogger of the same name, a Brooklyn-based cycling enthusiast. For those who have not read the blog itself, it's various writings on the history of cycling, thoughts on cycling in cities these days, musings on the various types of cyclists, why people cycle and a general critique of cycling culture. In places it is fairly amusing, Bike Snob can write with a fairly caustic wit at times, and those of us who cycle ourselves will recognise much in the behaviour and motivations the Snob details. The Snob's dissection of the various cliques cyclists form themselves into is entertaining and maybe a bit too close to home! It's also enjoyably self-indulgent; anyone who cycles will like to hear how wrong those pesky car drivers have it!

Because this books comes from existing blog writings it does feel a little like it might have benefited from a bit more revision before going to print; it has a bit of a "first draft" feel in places, which is fine on a freely available blog, but less welcome in a book people will pay for. It also lacks the images and videos the blog uses and, being largely text, feels a bit drier than the blog. There are also a lot of US/New York references that will pass a lot of us from the rest of the world by.

This is a relatively light and enjoyable read. Fun and witty in places - the better parts definitely outnumber the weaker passages. But I'd probably recommend the blog itself over the book.
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Wow, what a blast of fresh air! This was such an entertaining read and hugely amusing too. You'd never realise the sheer depth of the multi-levelled social structure attributed to cycling until you got your cycling gloves on this book. Want to know what `bike salmon' do? Read the book and marvel at just how much sense it all makes and how stupid `bike salmon' people really are.

This book, despite the witty, very sharp and quite astute comments, seems to be a pretty good description of all things cycle orientated. I loved it.

I have learned many things from the book, and am much cycle-wiser for it. However, two things immediately stand out. I am the `lone wolf' type of cyclist and that you should never, ever, use a folding trestle table as a ramp.

Like cycling and want a giggle? Buy the book. You don't cycle and want a giggle about cyclists? Buy the book. How simple does it get?
VINE VOICEon 17 March 2011
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I had high hopes for this book. It's very nicely made, hard backed book, gold print, colour pages and lots of diagrams etc.
It's written by a Blog writer, and I think they've tried to emulate the blog experience in the book.
The chapters take you through a history lesson, fashion, do's and dont's and basic tales of the road.
What I found hard, which I would say the same about blog's in general, is that you tend to only be able to read short bursts at once, these long epistles show up that this isn't great writing, I grew tired of it pretty quickly. I think if each page had been a subject/tale this would have worked a lot better.
Something else I thought was missing (coming from a daily cyclist) is the wonders you see whilst cycling, sure I understand a lot of what he says, and have seen a great deal in my 30yrs on a bike. I definatly don't feel the same 'philisophical' way he does about drivers trying to kill you though.

Pros: A book to pick up, read for a while and put back. Maybe I'll leave mine in a waiting room.
Cons: Difficult to hold your interest for more than a few pages at a time.
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I love my cycling. I really, truly, deeply do. Some witty musings about my second (or possibly third) favourite pastime; what could be more agreeable?

So it was with very high hopes that I plunged into this book. And yet, within a few chapters, I had to admit to myself that I found it all rather heavy going in places. Bike Snob, being a famous (well apparently so - I must confess I hadn't heard of him, until the Vine Programme enlightened me) blogger, sure knows his stuff, but clearly also loves the sound of his own voice and is extremely verbose. Page after page of describing the early cycling pioneers failed to generate much in the way of atmosphere. Things bucked up a bit with his definition of what makes a cyclist and I began to warm to the material a bit more with the gently amusing and perceptive Subsets of Cyclists section. How not to get killed and his musings on maintenance and how to lock your bike continue in the same vein of quirky waffle and occasionally clumsy attempts at humour but then, out of the blue, he hits the nail on the head with a profound truism. I particularly like "Everything about riding a bicycle compels you towards beauty". Nice.

Don't expect any real belly laughs but, if you're on the side of the cyclist, Bike Snob's gentle quirky wit and occasional poetically eloquent musings will probably just about win you over.

Worth a look.
on 8 October 2010
Great book. Opinionated; but that makes it so enjoyable. Amongst all the flipancy, there is also very good advice. I came late to cycling, and on the one hand this book made me appreciate it all the more, but also makes me regret all those years I missed out on.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 16 March 2011
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Bike Snob is one of those books that you find yourself annoying other people with. "Listen to this!" and "This will make you laugh!" was a phrase my wife got used to whilst I read this book.

In part a historical account of cycling. In part an analysis of the various kinds of cyclists, and yet in part an attempt to shift the reader's perspective of the bicycle. If this book were called "Zen, and the art of cycling", the title would fit. In fairness, there was one passage I found dull, which detailed a journey across an old cycling route in America, but I can see this appealing to someone more interested in the history of cycling than I am.

I'm a keen cyclist myself, so much of this book was relevant to me, but I can see it's appeal to anyone who has ever thrown a leg over a bike, or wished they could ride. However it's wit and humour broaden the appeal of the book to pretty-much anyone who has so much as seen a bicycle. It is also very nicely bound and has a good solid feel to it, which is incidental, but appreciated.

To surmise, I selected this book from the choice of books I was asked to review thinking it looked like it would be a fun and interesting read, and it surpassed all expectations. I heartily recommend it!
on 6 November 2010
I love the blog, and the book hasn't disappointed. It is a good read, fun, and totally slaughters pretension and senseless fashion. Clearly its a book for cyclists, but its more than that too. Plus, it is beautiful - well laid out, nice graphic touches, illustrations and phots. Looks really good.
VINE VOICEon 24 February 2011
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The book is a lovely size and fits in the hand well - and whether it was a consideration of not, would happily fit snuggly in a cycling jersey back pocket.

The book covers everything from the history of cycling through to modern life and the challenges this brings as a cyclist.

One of the key factors for me, is that as a keen cyclist with a passion for the mode of transport and sport yet also a driver, the book doesn't demonise or run drivers into the ground (if you excuse the pun) but instead deals with the real issues you have to face as a cyclist in the 21st century.

I learnt some really interesting facts about the beginning of cycling and how passionate people were about it as a sport and a method of transport, and how this has reduced but is returning. I also love the humour. This has been a lunch break book for me and the way its laid out is great for dipping in and out of. It also provides a slice of homour, interest and intelligent writing which makes it a joy to read.

I'd certainly recommend this to any cycling fan out there.
VINE VOICEon 30 November 2010
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I understand that the author-Bike SnobNYC- is a highly successful US anonymous bike blogger.In Bike Snob,the author takes aim at a selection of bike nuts,weirdos and fellow bike snobs with varying levels of success. Perhaps being British,a lot of the humour went over my head although some targets are universally recognized.
A bit lightweight really and something I will pass on fairly quickly.