TOP 500 REVIEWERon 10 July 2015
The book outlines a large number of philosophical issues in simple and understandable terms. That might make it quite a useful little introduction for people who would find other introductions rather too heavy for them. The expositions are themselves generally jokey in tone, with some excruciating puns; and they are interlarded with lots of jokes which are supposed to illustrate them. Sometimes they do that: particularly apposite are those in the chapter dealing with logical fallacies. But often their connection with the exposition is more stream-of-consciousness than anything else. Some of the jokes are very funny, others only mildly so; a few are groan-inducing; many are bawdy; some are shaggy-dog stories; quite a few are Jewish.

Few philosophers display any sense of humour in their writing, alas - but then, in my opinion, our two gagmeisters here rather overdo the facetiousness. I find this all the more surprising because Daniel Klein has written that wise and far from facetious book “Travels with Epicurus” (see my Amazon review).
VINE VOICEon 13 May 2015
Embarrisingly funny! I started reading this on a commuter train journey, and the jokes are just so great that I had to stop! I was sat there, tears streaming down my face - I'm sure people must have thought I was very upset, but I was actually trying not to burst out in uncontrollable laughter! I've really enjoyed this book - and the jokes have been well received by everyone. And the added bonus - they're making a serious (kind of!) point! Thoroughly recommended to anyone looking for great jokes, or for philosophy students looking for a lighter touch on the subject
2 people found this helpful
on 13 November 2008
I bought this to pass a transatlantic flight, and it did, wonderfully. Not many philosophy books will achieve that. So it's funny, entertaining, and OK, everyone will know some of the jokes, but few will have read them like THIS before. I have always felt kind of ignorant about this discipline (while also thinking "life is too short for this abstract wiffling", if I'm honest), especially in comparison with my OH who went to the philosophy lectures at uni for FUN while doing a science degree. This book doesn't bring me anything like up to his level, of course, but at least I do know what he's talking about now (he enjoyed it too) and might read more widely. I'd say this is a great book for bright young teens upwards: those who read it before anyone mentions Wittgenstein to them will feel less baffled and alienated than I did when one of my uni lecturers started questioning the innate nature of his lectern and whether it was the same as its name. (Cue a whole hall of students uneasily looking for the door.) That was how not to start on philosophy: this is most definitely how to do it.
4 people found this helpful
on 31 October 2017
Excellent and prompt service from Wordery. Book as new and as expected. One very happy customer!
on 15 November 2016
Very clever. Informative as well as hilarious. I savoured Daniel Klein is brilliantreading a section each evening before going to sleep. In some cases the comments were so funny I had tears running down my cheeks. I have since ordered two more books by Daniel Klein.
on 25 May 2017
Great price for a book to make you giggle.
on 10 August 2017
philosophy can be fun and a pleasure to read about, dont miss the oportunity.
on 7 January 2014
Delightful. Thoughtful, entertaining, calming.
Give yourself the time (go on, actually give your self the 'permission') to read through this lovely book, you'll never regret it.
on 2 March 2016
new slant on philosophy and well worth a read
on 4 September 2017