Customer reviews

on 14 June 2003
I recently came across this book on Amazon when I was searching for something else. This was the first book I ever managed to read independently - it'll be my silver anniversary of first reading it! The illustration and tales are absolutely enchanting. I used to twist my dad's arm to read it to me when I was too tired to read it for myself - I think I probably also used to pretend to be one of the mice.... (I was only five!).
Each story is different - they all transport you to somewhere magical and this, surely, is the purpose of any children's story. It's a simple book, and not very sophisticated, but it is one that childen will remember.
This is an excellent book to buy any children who are learning to read - and will give them a lifelong interest in looking at the shape of clouds!
on 1 January 2001
This is one of the best beloved book from my own childhood.I remember, how I used to read it together with my mother, and how I really felt the atmosphere of the places, how the characters made me curious, and how the stories fascinated me. I have been happy to dive into it again, together with my own two children, who have loved the book equally. I think that its power stems from the calm, timeless feeling of the story telling, and the joy of imagination. Poetic, beautiful and amusing. A treasure.
on 15 June 2013
My children's favourite book when they were young. I bought it on a whim for my grown uo daughter as a mystrey gift and she was delighted. Arnold Lobel creates a perfect imaginary world for his characters that our children adored. Classic book that every child should have in their library.
on 24 January 2012
I loved this book as a child, and recently found my little brothers copy which my 3 year old daughter loves. My favourite story has to be "the Journey". A must read for children of all ages, those who can read and those who love to have it read to them.
on 27 May 2001
My best loved children's book, I still have my copy from 20 years ago. Absolute gem for all ages. Buy this book for the tale of the new feet!!!
on 14 December 2012
I had this book as a child, and was delighted (and amazed) to see it was still in print. My three year old son now loves it as much as I do.
The stories are short enough to hold the interest of early readers, and the language is simple but not boring. The themes are also witty and fun for adults. I highly recommend this book.
on 20 October 2016
I have just looked at the table of contents in this book and I am transported back 36 years to when I was a kid reading this.
This is a great book and highly recommend it if you have kids, grandkids.
on 12 May 2013
I never, ever tired of reading this as a child. Especially the story of the mouse who wore out his feet. Buy it for a child you love - they will treasure it. Absolutely faultless!
on 19 April 2013
I bought this for my daughter as I loved the stories myself when I was young, she is too young to appreciate them at the moment but I love reading them to her!
on 10 May 2005
I only today remembered that I read this book a long time ago and the joy it gave me, am really excited about owning a copy and re-aquainting myself with the amazing stories that are contained within its covers.