Customer reviews

on 21 December 1998
The cover alone grabbed my attention: I've seen this posture from my son hundreds of times. As the parent of an autistic six-year-old, I found this book a superb, simple story for young companions of a child with autism. The story is straightforward, honest, and evokes compassion without pity. I would even speculate that this story would explain autism to adults with more clarity than any clinical definition.
My son has an older brother in the same elementary school and I've arranged for him to read this story to my autistic son's classmates. Although his classmates see this behavior and much more every day, I hope that the story, related personally, will give them one more thread of understanding. If any book can, this one will.
on 3 May 2006
This really is a very, very good book. In essence a simple story of two sisters who find taking their autistic younger brother for a walk both embarrassing and annoying, it clearly shows autistic traits and behaviour through its easy to understand prose and beautiful drawings.

I cannot recommend it strongly enough, as it will help siblings, family and friends to a more understanding view of autism. I am going to purchase copies for friends who have children so they can begin to understand why my 5 year old autistic son doesn't behave as others do.
on 1 March 2006
An excellent book that demonstrates the differences and the quirky behaviours of an Autist. I bought this book to read to my daughter who is 6 and a half years older than my autistic son. She thoroughly enjoyed the book and it prompted a very useful discussion.
I intend to lend this book to other friends and family as it would be good for anybody.
on 3 February 2007
I bought this book for my brothers children as they have an autistic brother whom we all adore but sometimes they find his behaviour difficult to understand, although the book is aimed at children anyone with no understanding of autism could read it and get an inkling as to the world for an autistic child.

I'd recommend it as a book for parents of autistic children to mayb give to siblings or other family members who maybe find their autistic childs ways difficult to explain to others.
on 22 October 2008
This book is a must for any family with a autistic child with siblings.
I have a son age 4, Aaron, on the autistic spectrum who loves this book, he gets us to read it to him all the time and has also started to read it himself as he has memorised the pages. I took it into his classroom for his teacher to read to the other children so that they would understand why my son is different, the teacher thought it was so good the school have ordered their own copy. It has made me smile every time i have read it. My older son has read it to Aaron also and was really impressed by the story. If you only buy one book make it this one.
on 19 December 2011
Although this book was written for a younger audience than I first anticipated, I still very much enjoyed reading it and could really identify with the characteristics of the autistic boy portrayed. My main purpose for buying this book was to help my daughter (aged 3) see that her twin brother was not unique in the disability he has. Even though she was very young she was still able to 'see' her brother within the story and the well illustrated book made it easy for me to talk more about how her brother was the same as Ian.
I will be using this book again and again as my children grow and have even recommended it to others in our autistic support group who have siblings as it is very real in how it portrays the concerns, difficulties and challenges faced by siblings of autistic children.
I particularly enjoyed the way the book focussed on the sensory element of autism rather that the typical triad of impairments most other books focus on.
If you are a parent of an autistic child facing the questions and embarrassments often found in your child's siblings this book may just help you discuss this difficult area in a non conflicting manner.
on 21 January 2010
It is very difficult to explain autism to an adult sometimes...even more difficult to explain to a child. This book has helped a couple of children in our family understand the condition much better. Even some adults who read it understood more about the condition than they had previously. A great aid to autism awareness.
on 24 May 2011
I bought this for my 6 year old daughter to help try and ewxplain to her about her big sister who has autism. It is a beautiful book and so true. Its about accepting the person for what they are and not being embarrased, which is common at age 6! We read it together, but I often find the book next to her bed so I know she reads it herself sometimes too.
on 20 June 2010
This book is a really useful tool for teaching young children, particularly siblings, about Autism. It would be better if this were highlighted in the product write-up, as it was purchased as an adult learning tool. Nonetheless, the lessons in the book still provide adult newcomers to managing autism with a useful insight. Would still have bought it, even if I had know the content style in advance.
on 19 January 2010
I will gift this book to my grandson's special school. My grandson
thankfully is not this severe but there are other students whose parents
will 'like' this book.