Customer reviews

on 22 September 2017
Just beautiful choices of words and perfect observation. Once read, it's hard to get her voice out of your head.
on 25 May 2017
The book is in better condition than I expected. I'm glad.
on 23 April 2017
Excellent book and speedy delivery
on 8 January 2015
Excellent!
on 16 September 2017
It's taken me probably a year or more to finish the whole volume (I'm a slow reader, especially of poetry) but my copy now has a frill of post-its sticking out of the edges, marking all the poems I particularly loved. I'm astonished that I'd never heard of Mary Oliver until I bought this book - shows my ignorance, I guess. I'm so looking forward to diving into volume 2. Along with Billy Collins she is now one of my very favourite poets.
on 6 July 2004
The only problem with a volume of Mary Oliver's collected poems is that whichever poems end up excluded are likely to be the reader's loss. Such incomparable consistency of craft and soul can be expected, every single time, from Ms. Oliver!
That said, no poem here is undeserving of its inclusion, and if it took an anthology like this to have you wonder about reading her for the first time, then thank God for this book.
Included here -note that this is only the first volume- are works from her earlier books, all of which are worth buying separately. A particularly important inclusion are the selections of American Primitive, in my opinion her most moving and accomplished collection.
Those who adore poems like the glorious "Wild Geese" or were moved by the wisdom of "The Journey," will be happy to know that they are, of course, contained in this volume, along with many others begetting similar acclaim.
So, five stars for Ms. Oliver only because I can't give her ten.
As far as the publisher, I would have liked a clearer indication that this is the very same edition already published years ago. At least in my case, the additional subtitle -"Volume One"- confused me and led me to buy something I already owned. In the other hand, if such mention indicates the upcoming release of a second volume -specially if more uncollected poems may be part of it, I'll be satisfied and forgiving.
For those who own everything by her and do not possess this volume, this is still a valid purchase on the basis of the, once, "new poems" contained and not available anywhere else.
Welcome -or welcome back- to the poetry of Mary Oliver. Let these words take your breath away with its exquisite and gently fierce call to opening your heart and be intelligent toward all beings.
on 28 July 2017
Sublime poetry. Many selected poems written throughout the years from various compilations. Wonderful.
on 3 March 2017
Enjoying these glorious poems
on 6 August 2017
Great way to start the day is with a Mary Oliver poem to reflect on.
on 22 January 2014
A clear, sensitive but unsentimental voice drawing us back to the things that really matter. Like much great writing it puts into words what we have always known but which has been too long out of sight. See also her 'Poetry Handbook' for insights into the structure of creative writing.