Customer reviews

Enjoying these glorious poems
on 8 January 2015
Excellent!
on 6 July 2004
The only problem with a volume of Mary Oliver's collected poems is that whichever poems end up excluded are likely to be the reader's loss. Such incomparable consistency of craft and soul can be expected, every single time, from Ms. Oliver!
That said, no poem here is undeserving of its inclusion, and if it took an anthology like this to have you wonder about reading her for the first time, then thank God for this book.
Included here -note that this is only the first volume- are works from her earlier books, all of which are worth buying separately. A particularly important inclusion are the selections of American Primitive, in my opinion her most moving and accomplished collection.
Those who adore poems like the glorious "Wild Geese" or were moved by the wisdom of "The Journey," will be happy to know that they are, of course, contained in this volume, along with many others begetting similar acclaim.
So, five stars for Ms. Oliver only because I can't give her ten.
As far as the publisher, I would have liked a clearer indication that this is the very same edition already published years ago. At least in my case, the additional subtitle -"Volume One"- confused me and led me to buy something I already owned. In the other hand, if such mention indicates the upcoming release of a second volume -specially if more uncollected poems may be part of it, I'll be satisfied and forgiving.
For those who own everything by her and do not possess this volume, this is still a valid purchase on the basis of the, once, "new poems" contained and not available anywhere else.
Welcome -or welcome back- to the poetry of Mary Oliver. Let these words take your breath away with its exquisite and gently fierce call to opening your heart and be intelligent toward all beings.
on 23 April 2010
I love these poems that look life, nature, love in the face unflinchingly and tenderly at the same time. I go back to them again and again.
on 10 June 2013
My very favourite Mary Oliver poetry book...Her take on the world around her is quite breathtaking..Would recommend this to anyone.
on 4 August 2014
I cannot get enough of Mary Oliver's poetry, if you are a traditionalist tim te tum poetry lover you may not get this kind of free style, it is worth a try however.
on 23 April 2015
Astonishing collection of poems, filled with brilliant, incisive observations of life that peel away boundaries between the natural world and our own nature.
on 30 November 2013
My aunt said this was the best present she had ever had. I loved the poems so much I bought one for myself too.
on 28 April 2016
Very meaningful poems, worth buying this book for reflection.
on 24 November 2015
Wonderful poems - the best I've read on nature and our human contact with it. I wish I had discovered Mary Oliver years ago. Good too that the font size is reasonably large.
It would be great if book reviewers could give some idea of font size in books that they purchase, as it's not possible to tell, even when the book has the 'Look inside' facility. I decided to take a chance on this one, and wasn't disappointed.