Customer reviews

on 9 October 2011
I thought couldn't draw. I mean really. I thought I would never be able to and then I got this book. It's title should be "Anyone Can Draw" because if it taught me how to draw funny, artistic cartoons it can teach anyone. It made me look at drawing in a whole new way and suddenly I was off. I'm a physics teacher and I now teach with the aid of cartoons. I sketch them as I go and in the process I teach every class how to draw too. You can't draw? Buy this book. You can draw but can't think of a joke? Buy this book. You draw funny cartoons but don't know how to publish them? Buy this book. Oh to heck with it...just buy this book :-)
on 30 July 2008
Before I finished my third book (The Re-Discovery of Common Sense) I decided it needed cartoons to visually explain some ideas (a picture is worth 1000 words) and provide humor to a tough subject. I started checking with hiring a professional artist (or student artist) to do the work. It quickly became clear the task would be time consuming, expensive and I may not get what I wanted in the end.

First, it would be difficult to find someone who would be able to take what was in my mind and transfer it to a cartoon

Second, it became painfully clear it would be expensive (even with a student artist). I wanted around twenty five cartoons drawn.

Third, some individuals wanted to discuss contracts and usage.

My best option was to learn how to draw cartoons myself. I figured it would be less expensive (only the cost of books and art supplies), and frustrating and I would get exactly what was in my brain. It would take some time to become proficient, but it sounded like a fun project. I was fortunately right.

The Cartoonist's Workbook and a couple other books helped me learn how to draw cartoons good enough to put in my latest book.

Robin Hall's common sense approach to teaching drawing made the challenge fun. There were also a tremendous number of different sketches in the book that helped jump start ideas for potential cartoons.

Robin Hall provides many excellent sections that helps teach drawing techniques. Some the sections that I found especially helpful were: The Expressions section, The Useful Outdoor References and The Gag Situations.

After finishing my sketches, I used Adobe Elements software to polish up the work. I was very pleased with the final cartoons that went into my book...and there have been many positive comments about the cartoons from people who have the book!

This is a great resource for learning to draw cartoons!

The Re-Discovery of Common Sense: A Guide To: The Lost Art of Critical Thinking