Customer reviews

on 23 December 2013
I know that some people say that the plot is obvious but I disagree. It is obvious to the reader who gets to know all the information but it's not obvious to Gwen who only ever gets half the story. I love how Gwen is totally unprepared for time travel and has to deal with all the sarcastic comments made by Charlotte and the tutors because Gwen doesn't become the victim, she just bites back with her wit. One thing I love is how mysterious the family is, Lady Arista has her own story to tell I know it. Overall a very interesting plot that is original, or rather more original than the other books about recently.
on 23 December 2013
I recommend this book as the idea of time travel isn't a topic that's overdone within young adult books, which makes it very refreshing. The narrative is witty at times but also secretly intelligent which means that you get the contrast between the side of Gwen who is scared and unprepared, and the side that was born to be the Ruby. Gideon is just perfect, so mysterious as he pulls her close one minute and pushes her away the next, but not in the annoying way that this is usually done.
on 5 July 2017
on 18 April 2017
Was in great shape
on 19 January 2015
15 yr old squealed on receipt and hugged book, I guess that means they liked it!
on 27 May 2017
This has to be one of my all time favourite books! Brilliant storyline that keeps you gripped from the beginning!
on 12 August 2016
I’d seen this series everywhere and only heard good things. Stupidly I let the ballgown on the cover put me off, what was I thinking?! I tore through this first installment and loved every moment.

The characters are wonderful, each member of Gwyneth’s family has their own personality from aloof Lady Arista to jealous Glenda to devoted mum Grace. I liked that Gwyneth and her friend Lesley acted and sounded like teenagers, not adults. Gwyneth didn’t always react in the perfect way but Lesley was a great support system for her. I loved that she believed her and supported her. I’m so sick of stories where all girls can be is jealous rivals. The only character I disliked was Gideon, the prat, whose personality swings like a pendulum.

In terms of plot, I love the mysteries around Count Saint-Germain, Lucy and Paul, the poem about the twelve time-travellers and the use of the chronograph. I have so many questions! That could be the slight drawback of this novel – it didn’t feel like a complete, self-contained arc just part of a bigger story. But that’s okay – I’ve got Sapphire Blue all ready to go.
on 21 September 2013
I really enjoyed reading Ruby Red. It was entertaining, fun, rather unique... but ultimately? Too short. I wasn't ready for the adventure to end. So maybe the biggest problem with Ruby Red is that I want to move on to the sequel right away. You know. If you can call that a problem.

I love this concept. Time travel is carried in genes and uncontrolled by nature. So Gwen just randomly gets sucked into the past for a half hour and then goes back. I love it so much. This is actually my first time travel novel, though, so perhaps I'm easily impressed. But I liked how this was tied to a prophecy and a mysterious secret society, bound by strict time travel rules... it's just so interesting, I kept reading until I was done. I couldn't stop myself. So compulsively readable? Check.

Gwen as a main character rather impressed me. She's not really the strong female character, but she's so realistic, and I loved that. I mean, she's been kept in the dark about the ins and outs of time travel and the prophecy all her life and then out of nowhere gets sucked into the past. Her shock, fears, and disbelief are really understandable and make her quite the endearing character. She also shows she can be brave when it's necessary, and I'm excited about the small ways in which her character already grew in this novel and will likely keep doing so in the rest of the series. I loved her sass as well.

I have a new book boyfriend and his name is Gideon. I just love him. He totally pulls the cocky, arrogant attitude off at the beginning, but as he travels with Gwen, he sees that he needs to be more supportive of her. And he totally pulls that off as well. He can be so freaking sweet.

I'm a bit on the fence about the romance to be honest. I absolutely loved it at the beginning, because it was clearly a love-hate relationship. I giggled like a mad woman every time Gwen thought about what a dick Gideon was. However, it was overly obvious that she felt more for him, just by how she got jealous when he was talking to other girls and checked to see if she had impressed him at times. I wish it had transitioned a little more slowly. That would have made it ultimately more endearing. So while I was a bit frustrated with the ending, I kind of loved it as well. The preview for the next book in any case does indicate it's not going to be all super mushy lovey dovey stuff, so that's good. If it is... well, we'll see that when it happens.

But as I stated up front, this book is too short. Maybe it only feels that way because I blazed through it at such a high speed. However, I really feel like very little concrete happened. I mean, we're teased with all these mysteries and prophecies, and in this book, almost nothing is revealed about that. It takes almost half the novel (I believe) before Gwen actually admits to her family that she's the one who has time traveled. It's odd. I wouldn't say it was slow in the beginning, but I guess that could have been condensed a bit. So while I loved reading about the time traveling, about this world and their families, I felt teased. It almost felt like this was a prequel, and the next book would be the true beginning. I dunno. I'm weird. This might just be me.

There is one other small negative thing to mention. I know that this is a translation from the original German book, but it really could have used another editing round. I couldn't help but get distracted by some of the mistakes. Some of it read as really clunky, and not just because they tried to emulate British English.

Summing Up...

This book makes me really excited about not only the series as a whole, but also about the time travel genre. I've been staying away from it for far too long, that much is obvious. I loved the characters and the concept, and my biggest problem is just that I want more. So I may just continue on to Sapphire Blue right away. (Anyone else always think of Pokémon when writing these titles, btw?) In any case, I'm going to go watch the movie now!

Recommended To...

Fans of time travel and swoon-worthy boys.
on 6 June 2016
If you didn't notice the Ruby Red Trilogy was on my post about Series I Want To Complete, so with a 3 hour journey to Abersoch and back on Sunday, I threw it in my handbag and I read the entire book. It's also a Paperback, and I read paperbacks like so slow people!

Ruby Red follows Gwyneth, who's cousin Charlotte has the time travelling gene in her family, or so they think. As her family pep are for Charlotte to make her first ever trip back in time, Gwyneth starts to have the same symptoms too. But who's are phantom symptoms? Gwyneth travels back in time (not a spoiler it's in the blurb) to so many different places and era's during the novel whilst also battling Gideon, the one who wished it was Charlotte, who is now her time-travelling partner. Gideon is also super cute, an ass, but I have high hopes for this hero! Gideon an Gwyneth do build up somewhat quite a good relationship in the novel, which is more of a love-hate kind of relationship, but I get the feeling this will develop further on in the next novels.

The time travelling aspect of this novel was just so good. When Gwyneth and Gideon travelled back in time Kerstin managed to write historic England, in different periods, so vividly and it reignited my love for old England and historic reading. The clothing and hairstyles are quit a key feature in this novel pairing with the different era's. Which was just my favourite part! Reading about all the elegant dresses and oversized hair styles. Awesome.

Ruby Red doesn't have much action to be fair, it is quite a quiet novel in a sense. but that doesn't mean it was good, it was packed with controversial family dynamics, cult beings and secret codes and meetings.I literally couldn't stop reading on the entire journey there and back, as well as sat on the beach! This was my view for the day...
on 28 November 2013
I am so lost when it comes to this book. I didn't like it, and I can't put my finger on WHY I didn't like it.

This is the second book in the Ruby Red series (I think that's what the series is called?!) Anyway, we follow Gwyneth on her adventures of time travel and this book just basically develops the first book, that's all I'm going to say about it.

Okay, so Charlotte pissed me off more than anything ever in this whole world. She's such a sneaky bitch. I can't handle girls who are stuck up and pretentious and that's exactly what Charlotte is! I really just want something terrible to happen to her so we don't have to listen to her go on and on about how useless and untalented Gwen is. I don't care, I love Gwen and she's much much better than you, Charlotte.

Gideon. Oh Gideon, what are we going to do with you. Can I just say that the romance between Gwyneth and Gideon seems so pathetic. I feel like there's no connection between the two characters, at the beginning of the book I literally thought that Gideon was using her or something- but I definitely new that he wasn't completely interested in her, because I just didn't see anything at all between them. If anything they acted more like brother and sister (they hate eachother but they have to love and care for eachother). Oh I don't know, I just didn't like them together at all. And the big reveal towards the end of the book just had me sighing, like it was so predictable.

Count Saint-Germain? Really mate. This count guy confuses the hell out of me, what's his game? What does he want? Why is he s***-stirring things and why is he mind-strangling her one day and then being completely nice the next? I just don't know what's going on with him at all!

Lesley is just as funny and intelligent as ever! She's probably my favourite character in this series and she doesn't really appear that much, which I guess is saying something.

Okay so just a small matter about the time traveling thing. This is probably going to sound like the most nonsense point ever, but it's really difficult to explain it, so I'm going to try my very best. IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. And if anyone does think it makes sense or can explain this point to me then I'd love to hear it! So here it is, when Gwen goes back in time and talks to her granddad, she's worrying about whether she should tell him who he marries or not (because he's stuck in between 2 girls at the time), because if she does it'll change the future and she wouldn't exist.. but how can the future be changed if it's already happening at this moment? So if he didn't marry her grandmother, her mother, aunt, cousin & herself would just disappear randomly in the present day or???

If that doesn't make sense, I'm sorry, I'm confused too! But if you want me to elaborate or try and explain it more then just leave a comment and I'll be happy to!

Xemerius is so funny! I think he's the reason I carried on reading, I'm so glad the author included him, he brings so much lightness, joy and happiness that this story desperately needed! He's such a witty demon/ghost/thing/whatever. The comments he comes out with literally made me laugh out loud, so I think these 2 stars go to him!

Check out my blog for more reviews: [...]