on 21 May 2012
Picked this up as I was on a business trip to Crimea/Sevastopol.

Visited the great Panorama Museum in Sevastopol and the Malakhov battery and this book helps understand the political background to the conflict and the detail of the battle.

It succeeds in giving a full picture both (detailed and broad sweep) and is necessarily wide ranging on Mid-19C global politics.

A personal axe to grind is that OF skates over opposition to the war, Free Traders and Quakers in the UK, as it was cast aside by the popular press and the political considerations of the governments/rulers involved.

A very enjoyable read.
on 12 July 2014
A very comprehensive description of a war where two christian states allied themselves with a muslim empire, to fight another christian state with unrealistic aims, where for the fist time the press played a decisive role, the comon private was glorified, and the basis for the medical/sanitary care of an army was recognised. Vividly writen, full of details helping the reader to participate in the drama of the whole affair, and a tragic reminder about the dangers of russophobia and misconceptions re the Turks.
2 people found this helpful
on 18 January 2016
I needed to fill in my knowledge gap on the Crimean War and this more than delivered. A crucial read if you want to know what is going on the Crimea today.
One person found this helpful
on 25 March 2014
I'm a history addict anyway but this is head and shoulders above anything I've read recently. I actually considered ringing in sick to finish it! (I managed to resist - just!).
3 people found this helpful
on 7 June 2014
I only read in short periods and although this book is full of interest there were parts that I found hard going. However, it does give a detailed in site into the build to the war.
on 24 April 2014
Fantastic book. Very well written and it was a great opportunity to learn and to develop my knowledge about Crimea war.
on 28 February 2016
An excellent book, which brings home the stupidity of war and of the political and military leaders behind it.
on 11 June 2014
Excellent presentation.
Detailed history with undertones of European nations' attitutes and thinking towards each other,Russia and the Ottamans.
I would certainly recommend it to those intrested in history of the era.
One person found this helpful
on 8 February 2014
Enjoyed this well written history of the lead up, circumstances, events and consequences of the Crimea War. Happy to recommend it to a person interested in this era of history.
on 23 November 2013
Hope to get time to read this soon, looks good. I am sure it will be. I like Figes writing.