on 3 March 2016
One of the recommended books for my post-graduate studies. I could not put it down. It has helped me managing my own day to day stress.
on 29 June 2017
Really interesting book. Well researches, a light touch on serious science and an important topic. Great to bring this subject into more awareness
on 13 October 2017
Good book which is fairly easy to read and still used as a core text at university level
on 30 October 2017
Great book
on 17 January 2015
okay book.
on 22 October 2015
Stupendous book. Every human being in the western world, and certainly every politician, should be forced to read this book (or a simplified version for the less mentally agile!), as it explains why we are slowly killing ourselves with a combination of stress and unhealthy behaviours, especially around diet and exercise. The recurring theme is how the fight or flight response to long-lasting stressful situations (for which it was not "designed", if designed it was) is now doing so much damage to 21st century human bodies and, by its effects on the HPA axis (cortisone etc), is creating virtually all the major illnesses from which we are either dying or ending up being a drain on our health care systems. It's a very long book, and, to be honest, I haven't finished it, as it is very hard going (but see below), but I know I must continue to read it, and read it again, as it is the most important and informative book I think I will ever read. I say it is hard going, but not only is Robert Sapolsky clearly a great scientist, he is also a very funny man who livens the text with entertaining anecdotes and self-deprecating comments. If you want a gentle way into the book search youtube for The Lion The Watch and The Hormones, a brief music video by Tom McFadden about the book, in which Robert Sapolsky himself makes what might be called a cameo role. Buy this book, read it and find out how to live longer.
on 8 April 2016
It's a very good book, very interesting although a bit hard to read. Sometimes is too scientific and it's easy to get lost. I needed a lot of concentration to read it.
on 30 March 2016
Prompt deliver. Excellent condition and great read. Good buy.