Customer reviews

on 12 September 2017
A gift for my daughter, she is halfway through her ART Therapist degree, she is very happy to have this book. Thank you.
on 27 August 2015
An eloquent 200 pages which was easily digested. I bought it for the chapters on Kohut. Particularly the helpful summary of his sensibly perceptive views on narcissism. I was delighted to read more about Gill, sadly neglected thus far by limey yours truly; and the influence of Rogers. Thoroughly recommended.
on 4 October 2011
I was engaged in this book from beginning to end. It is educational, interesting and insightful in its depiction of the issues between therapist and client. It is a must read for patients or clients interested in understanding the mechanics of the therapy process in more detail. Enjoyable reading too!
VINE VOICEon 23 November 2001
Funny how certain books seem to have been written just for ME! THis is one of them. Trained as a psychodynamic counsellor, I have been struggling for a long time with issues of 'how to be' in the room with clients. The psychoanalytic 'blank screen' just isn't me - yet I feel that I'm betraying my training if I am warm and present.Kahn brilliantly identifies and expands this dilemma and by introducing the work of Kohut provides an elegant and freeing way forward. I cannot recommend this book too highly and will be giving it to lots of friends!
0Comment| 110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 June 2010
This really is essential reading for counsellors and therapists. It puts the therapeutic relationship under the microscope and beautifully merges humanistic with psychodynamic thinking. Kahn has a lovely 'voice' and he sets out at a gentle pace, without the need for jargon and Cleverer Than Thou word-ology!

The book traces the importance of building the client relationship in the work of Freud, Rogers, Gill and Kohut. Kahn shows how he integrates each of their contributions in his own client work. I don't think I could ever read any Gill or Kohut, but now I feel they may be more approachable. Person centred counsellors will benefit from gaining a psychodynamic perspective on what is going on in the relationship (transference), and how they are being affected by the client (countertransference). This is where the work gets done, "because the relationship is the therapy".

What I especially liked was the way Kahn revealed some of his own mistakes in working with clients, and how he dealt with them.
This is a book to absorb and practice. Invest in yourself and read it again and again...
on 7 May 2013
As a therapist I feel there is a special type of relationship with a client, very intimate on the hand and on the other hand very detached. Needless to say, this doesn't go very well together. Therapy is not theory, it's life, and very real.
Kahn offers possibilities for therapists who like to remain human beings whilst working with clients.
on 11 March 2014
Michael Khan has a way of writing that is both interesting and informative. A must have for trainees whether it is on your reading list or not. Trainees of counselling/psychotherapy will find this so useful as it gives an in depth insight to psychodynamic meets humanistic as well as providing a flow in the narrative that makes it one of the best books I have read as it engages the reader taking you on a journey and providing deep insight to important theories of our time. Highly recommend.
on 16 June 2009
Although my core theory is psychodynamic and Michael Kahn is person centred, I found his book to be very interesting; I enjoyed that fact that he is so down to earth and accessable, he speaks of counsellors/therapists, 'warts and all' his writing is insightful and a joy to read.
on 13 December 1998
As a graduate student newly entering the world of psychotherapy from a professional standpoint, I found Michael Kahn's book a real reading treasure. His explanations of issues such as transference (and countertransference), and the way in which these phenomena have been viewed over time, was interesting to read and valuable learning for any therapist-to-be. He does a beautiful job of taking theoretical information and explaining it in such a way that it can be understood and utilized immediately with clients. Also, Michael brings a personal touch to his book which I found increases it's worth even further. I highly recommend this book for anyone interested in learning about psychotherapy, particularly self-psychology; and I sincerely hope he decides to write more in the future!
on 25 November 2009
A good exploration of the dynamics of the therapeutic relationship, explained simply but introducing profound issues about getting the right balance between counsellors/psychotherapists and clients i.e. what are appropriate boundaries and what purposes do they serve. Khan moves from the medical/mechanistic style to one focused on the relationship between therapist and client as a main agent of change. Worth reading by novice and expert alike.