Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 June 1998
My knowledge of things African was limited as a child, so I have made a particular effort to expose my daughter to this part of the world. As I have done this, I have discovered that the themes which have made Western children's stories popular through the centuries are also present in African folk tales. This fact is further confirmed by this book. It is a tale of a family of spider children who work together to get their father out of a jam. Not only is the story entertaining and full of lessons, but the illustrations are gorgeous. They are as one would imagine an African child must dream: vivid colors and broad strokes which my three-year-old even thought were particularly "pretty." I highly recommend this book as an addition to any three-eight-year-old's library.
on 16 May 1999
A short children's book based on a folk tale of the Ashanti tribe of Ghana about the tickster Spider who is rescued by his sons and why the moon is in the sky. Children will enjoy hearing this story and even acting out its parts. The artwork is very appealling. The book was a 1973 Caldecott Honor book (i.e., a runner-up to the Medal winner) for best illustration in a book for children.
on 24 July 1997
It's been about thriteen years since I was
introduced to this story thanks to the Seattle Public School system, and I remembered it well enough to go hunting for it in late 1995. I still adore this book, and I do believe that it is the only book from my childhood that I've bothered to find again.

Wonderful artwork with great expressions from the arachnid protagonist. Even the silhouettes are compelling, though simple. I nearly felt sorry for Anansi until I remembered that he's a trickster figure.

I don't like spiders, but I adore Anansi and his sons. I think you will, too. (Especially Cushion. He's so cute!)
on 30 May 2009
Like Anansi himself we too have been gifted with 6 children
So loved and oft told is this story that our three year old has re named each of his brothers and sister one of Anansi's sons names. A lovely lovely book to treasure. You will not be disappointed
on 22 November 1998
An interesting tale that should be told by an African man or woman dressed in a garment using the patterns seen in the illustrations. What great fun for all who participate.
on 15 August 2016
My 3 and 4 year olds absolutely loved this story and wanted me to re-read it many times, and they also start adding to the story as they find the idea funny of him "falling into trouble" ...
on 22 October 2014
Great little book. Interesting illustrations. Good introduction to stories from other cultures. A teacher could very easily use this book as a base for a west African project.
on 2 April 2013
Excellent quality book. Very good story to read and the illustrations are amazing. Very vibrant colours want to make you read again and again.
on 5 November 2015
This is one small story. I was looking for a compilation of Anansi stories, which is what I would expect for £15!
on 2 June 2012
This is a really good quality book, and a great introduction to fantastic story. Suitable for children of any age