on 31 July 2015
Gorgeous. Fabulous. Beautiful. I love these patterns. Fantastic value for money and so stylish - even for a lady of a certain age!
on 7 September 2016
Lovely book.
on 3 August 2017
Thanks. I love this book.
on 6 September 2013
Each garment in this book is labelled with a letter of the alphabet and given a full page colour photograph worn by a slim model. Unusually for Japanese pattern books the sizes are from a UK 6 to 16. The styles are generally loose fitting, only one dress has a zip, a few have buttons, the rest slip over the head. I like that the styles are adaptable and would give a completely different look using alternative materials. The instructions on how to make all the dresses and tops are covered thoroughly in the second half of the book. They are easy to follow with both step by step written instructions and diagrams. I have made dress A which is very quick and easy to make. It is a roomy sun dress which was perfect for the hot weather we had for a few days. Please note that patterns will have to be traced off from the pattern sheets provided as the different pattern piece lines cross over each other. I think this book is an absolute bargain. I have paid more than the price of this book for a single pattern.
on 20 February 2015
Gorgeous book with lots of attractive designs. I tend to buy clothes from White Stuff / Seasalt / Fat Face and the designs in here are mostly things that would not look out of place in those sort of shops. I am totally new to sewing clothes and have just made my first ever item of clothing from one of these patterns. It was pretty easy to follow even for a complete beginner like me. A few things to note: the patterns are printed on both sides of three printed sheets, so don't panic if you think you are missing some! Also, you'll need to buy some pattern paper for tracing the patterns on to. Finally, the size range is only your standard high-street sizes, so if you are bigger than a 16 this might not be the book for you.
on 5 August 2013
Looking at the photos of tiny models in this book I had little hope that the clothes would make up to my size, so my first attempt found me adding a generous seam allowance to the largest size. No need. I ended up having to adjust it back. I am a busty size 18. It seems the patterns are all styled on the loose size anyway. I have made 3 items now from this book and another in the series. Will definitely be buying the next the be translated to English.
on 20 September 2013
The boo
It is exactly as I thought it would be. The only other investment to make is time and a large roll of tracing paper to take the patterns to their useable state. Very good illustrations and good quality printing.
Would have liked a larger size range but having said that the patterns look easy to upsize.
Would recommend.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 18 April 2016
So glad I bought this lovely book!!! I have been sewing for years and wanted to sew some clothing in the japanese style.
I would say this book is not suitable for beginners or sewists who haven't used patterns before.
If you have a good working knowledge of using patterns and aren't intimidated by tracing the outline from the patterns provided (and importantly- adding your own seam allowance as this isn't included in the measurements!) then this is the book for you! There is a really good selection for the price of the book and even though the designs are simple, this is what attracted me in the first place! You can add your own fabric choices and make a really nice selection of tops and dresses with this book! The paper patterns are folded into a neat envelope on the back cover and each pattern is marked over another in different colours so you can focus on the particular one you need and use pattern tracing paper (available separately) to trace the markings you need. This could be intimidating as visually it is quite crowded but as long as you focus on the coloured outline you need, it's fine.
The 'instructions' are very basic. This is where you need basic knowledge I would say. There are a few basic steps written with a few simple diagrams. If you need detailed information on exactly how to do seams etc then you will need either another basic skills book or to already have such knowledge. Having said that, the instructions you are given are quite straightforward.
The models are all slim and petite, so bear this in mind. The designs are all quite roomy so I feel this isn't a problem.
Each pattern in the book has a beautiful clear photograph and a corresponding 'letter' to make it easy to find the right pattern.
I think this book is really lovely and will certainly buy more!! UPDATE - Don't panic if you can't find the pattern bits, they really are spread all over the 6 different sides.I was convinced one was missing but then found it :-) A lovely book!
on 11 September 2014
Lovely book, I like several if the patterns. The instructions on how to make the clothes look very good. I only gave 4 stars because I am a sixty four year old, who likes to dress reasonably modern and many of these patterns are much more suited to youngsters.
on 5 May 2016
A nice selection of patterns so a bargain compared with buying individual patterns. However, the instructions are not clear and miss out many steps so not for beginners unless you're very intuitive. The styles are very like Seasalt and similar companies. I'm a 16/18 and the largest size fits well.