on 8 January 2013
I've read three books on wabi sabi specifically as research for my degree dissertation. I've given this one 5 stars though I'd really give it 4 and a half. It's good. The Leonard Koren one didn't really do it for me. And Wabi Sabi Simple was better than I thought it would be. This was the best of the three for me.
26 people found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 25 June 2017
I have had a brief understanding and affiliation with Wabi Sabi for some time, but felt I needed more, but this book has pushed me into the next level of understanding. Truly amazing. Everything I wanted to know and more, and I immediately bought a book on Haiku to help me better use my new understanding. Buy it.
3 people found this helpful
on 18 January 2017
If you are looking for a book on wabi sabi that is elegantly written, stylish, easily understood and eminently readable, this is the one. Before I bought it I read the other reviews carefully, and (as always) there were some rather scathing ones, but I chalk those up to the nature of complainers. It's a fantastic read and speaks very directly to the complex nature of wabi wabi and what it means, both to Japanese and to westerners. Highly recommended.
on 7 December 2016
Starts off okay but seems to drift off into repetitive tangents. Not sure about some of the Statements allegedly representative of the Buddhist view and certainly do not equate Buddhism to nihilism, it is after all the middle way. Life story of Ikkyu was almost ad verbatim from John Stevens book 'three zen masters'. Overall it could have been a pamphlet rather than a book and is priced appropriately (99p).
on 26 December 2016
Incredibly informative and a very good read. Is kind of a design art book towards the end and I was looking for more of an Eastern philosophy book but the philosophy was a large part of it even though it did sort of push it into an art oriented book after the first half. The two do have a lot in common and he explains the ideas and philosophies very well and unironic enthusiasm which really added a deeper feel to the book in terms of life and our place here and how Eastern art reflects that.
One person found this helpful
on 15 July 2014
wonderful .. this book brings out the philosophy of Wabi Sabi, the spirituality and the beauty of nature, the passage of time and impermanence... Very simply and clearly written in a way that is both intelligent and accessible.... I read it from cover to cover in an afternoon and feel it also a book to dip into.. Not many photos but the photos are beautiful too
5 people found this helpful
on 7 February 2018
I bought the book Wabi Sabi: The Japanese Art of Impermanence for a friend and it was so good I had to buy a copy for myself.
A real delight, highly recommended.
on 19 September 2016
very interesting book for those who wish to understand Japanest aesthetics and the Japanese soul. The book is historically well-researched and inspiring. a good read for anyone interested in the traditional Japanese arts, such as pottery, flower arrangement and gardening...
on 27 December 2016
Very interesting little book. Bought as a gift but read it first myself, both of us seem impressed.
on 9 April 2018