on 17 March 2017
Great book. Thanks very much!
on 12 May 1998
I have read more than 10 books and read countless articles on the martial art of aikido, and this book was by far the best one. The philosophy of aikido clearly comes through and gives the reader more than just technical information on various techniques. Great illustrations too. While the drawings aren't as easy to follow as photos or video, they are profuse, with over 100 different techniques illustrated.
on 18 March 2017
very interesting
on 8 March 2017
GREAT
on 6 March 2017
Excellent
on 13 May 2017
Brilliant book and service, I now have my husband pinned on the floor begging me to let him go. Think I will keep him there a bit I like hearing him squeal. Thanks Amazon, well done.
on 5 July 2005
Not your run-of-the-mill martial arts book. Thoughtfuly and intelligently put together.It is almost impossible to put such a volume together without including some form of instruction, but normally I would advise against it, as the subtleties of execution cannot be appreciated in a few line drawings. Nevertheless, the authors give it a good shot.
In some ways I feel the book is a little too pseudo-philosophical, but the sense of the spiritual inherent in aikido is adequtely conveyed. Well worth a read as an expert or aspirant
on 6 May 2012
Aikido is practiced all over the world and I have been lucky enough to come across a dojo called simply "the hut"...

I was recommended to buy and read this book because it is one of the definitive western texts on Aikido. You can't learn certain things from a book and martial arts in any form fall into this category. However, this is a very good companion to your training. I am overwhelmed on a regular basis by the simplicity of the Aikido movements because it's a bit like watching snooker on the telly. It looks so simple and yet to carry out the movements is an art form and takes many hours of focused practice.

This book is full of wonderful illustrations and I am lucky enough to study Aikido with my son so he is also very helpful in my learning. This book is a book you can refer to again and again because Aikido is experiential learning and layers your previous weeks dojo training. In fact I am going to have a little read again as I finish this review because Aikido is currently one of my passions...

I fell into getting better quite late in life - got paralysed and told wouldn't walk properly again - decided to get second opinion and learn helpful stuff. Aikido is helpful stuff and this is a really helpful book. I particularly like the chapter IV - The Practice of Aikido because it is very philosophical and helps to understand how Aikido is useful outside of the Dojo and as a way of living...

Aikido also uses power in a very different way from most forms of martial arts and is sometimes refered to as the thinking mans martial art. Normally if you have to think about it - you've already been knocked out...

Whereas if you learn Aikido - you learn "belonging"...

A great book and Aikido is something that will hopefully take me many, many years to master...
on 23 March 2009
I recently started Aikido practice and was looking for a book to improve my effectiveness at "homework" and understand the context and philosophy a bit better. After all, class is mostly non-verbal, and for beginners, the new techniques can be a real physical puzzle.

This book is an excellent introductory text that covers history, philosophy, etiquette and core techniques in a very accessible way. The chapter structure is clear, and there is a good balance between text and illustrations. Out of a number of books I purchased on this subject, at this stage in my Aikido life, I think this is the most useful. Strongly recommended.
on 13 August 2001
A Classic. This book is worth its price just for the line drawings alone! I do not practice Aikido but it still has a place of honour on my bookshelf from which it comes down frequently. As other reviewers have said it is an ideal first book for Aikidoka but I can recommend it wholeheartedly to Jiu Jitsuka, Tai-jutsuka, Tai-chi Chuan and Pa-kua students. As Terry O'Neill used to say in his Fighting Arts magazine 'On the bookshelf this book sell's itself - buy it - you won't be disappointed...'