Top critical review
Arrogant and inexperienced young kind tries and fails to find out interesting insights from business and other leaders.
25 July 2018
This is kind of a bizarre book. Supposedly, it is the tale of a 'wild quest' to find the secrets of how the world's most successful people got their lucky break. There are two problems with this. Firstly, the 'secrets' he does find out are completely unoriginal and uninspiring. Be persistent - Tim Ferriss. Find hidden reserves of mental strength - Sugar Ray Leonard. Have a business strategy - Bill Gates. How fascinating. Secondly, the 'wild quest' is, for the most part, the tale of an entitled, wealthy kid hassled a bunch of celebrities for their time until a few of them gave in and talked to him.Sure there are some funny moments along the way. But most of it is just a pretty standard tale of how, if you are an overly confident young man from a wealthy and educated background, you can pursue whatever you want in life.
One element of the book I found particularly annoying. When Banayan does eventually manage to meet some interesting people, he is completely incapable of interviewing them in a way which elicits anything of interest. He proves this repeatedly. Talking to Tim Ferriss, he completely missed the point that Ferriss was trying to save him from himself by telling him not to be so annoying. Talking to Bill Gates, he asks terrible questions which don't really elicit the interesting insights he was hoping for. Asking Warren Buffett questions at a shareholder meeting, he gets them completely wrong to the point that people are actually laughing at him.
This, in reality, is the story of some bro who has no idea what he is doing, and is being carried along on a wave of self-confidence, nothing more. He's an idiot. Indeed about 75% of this book is tales of someone who doesn't know how to secure an interview, trying to secure an interview. The other 25% is someone who doesn't know how to conduct an interview, conducting an interview.