on 23 March 2016
Yes I enjoyed this read, one has to remember when reading that this is the experience of on particular brave man's great vision and how he lived his life in the pursuit of the vision given to him. Always attempting to follow this for the benefit of his people, the Lakota, giving himself over to the vision when the time came, no matter the outcome for him personally. People on the outside reading this book should take into account that the Americas are vast continents and the Spirit ways of the Lakota are not necessarily the ways of other people in these lands. One thing that is held in common is a deep reverence for the elders and a core understanding of humanities inseparable part of life.
The ways of our modern 'civilised' society where incomprehensible, even mad, to young Black Elk, just as they were/are to Native peoples the world over. What we can take firstly from this book is respect for Black Elk, sympathy or empathy for the first nations, an elder people who have been and in many ways still are abused. What we can do also is to reflect upon these writings and say, is there any way in which I can restore some of the innocence lost, how is this relevant to my life?
Sure these people were not Christians nor did they hold to the values and moralities of these now dominant societal ways, they knew death was a part of life and were honest about it, they did not speak one way and act another, what you saw was what you got.
Was Black Elks vision Fulfilled. Did he find the solution or resolution he first sought for his people? Maybe this is still ongoing through the pages of his book, just as his Uncle Crazy Horse sought to solve the dilemma and free his people, this book does the same for us all. Here can be considered another piece of the solution, the book is another Brave left behind for us to find and in turn to teach us. Whilst we grow and mature as a people the Book remains here, a message from the past for us now, to pick up, learn and grasp in turn what it is that our people never saw all those years ago, as we rampaged and ravaged, as a bull in a china shop, throughout this our sweet and sacred earth. For it was not Black Elk, Crazy Horse or for any other to solve this mess alone, they and many other visionaries of many a hew are a part of the work, which must be done if we are eventually to turn things around and save our world. Even the wisest of us is still very small in the grander vision, all we can do is try to follow in their foot steps so as we too can grow and play our part.
on 2 June 2017
A fascinating book which gives an authentic account of Native American life and religious beliefs during a time of land-grabbing and widespread genocide by white invaders. I found it particularly interesting that horses played a pivotal rôle in the visions experienced, when (as I understand it) horses had been introduced in to America by the Spanish only a couple of hundred years earlier.
The Battles of Little Big Horn and Wounded Knee are covered in some detail from 'the other perspective'.
It left me wanting to learn more about the Indian tribes.
on 27 October 2017
Narrated in a fabulous way. It's my first audiobook and I'm completely taken by it. What a sad and beautiful story. I'm already half way through and want to re-listen to it soon. It's an education about the horrific way the settlers went about destroying civilians and land for their own lucrative purposes.
on 5 November 2017
great book
on 7 January 2016
I have owned two copies of this book in my life and gave them both to people I know as it is a book that should be read by every human being. This copy I bought as a Christmas present for my brothers girlfriend and ask her kindly if when she had read it could I borrow it to read again as it's been a few years since I last downloaded the wisdom of the great Black Elk. ENJOY, ENJOY ENJOY my friends.
on 30 December 2013
This book is best read ever, it takes you from he was a small boy right through to him being a old man, and all the journeys and wars he has been through and witnessed, it gives his vision from 9 years old and all through his life, i am still reading it but so far it is excellent book, it flows beautifully from one scene to another, and you can see everything in your head as you read through the Book. A fantastic Man of the Lakota
on 13 April 2014
I chose this as I was looking to study Native American rituals and spirituality and I wasn't disappointed. There are not many books on this subject and it gave me a clearer insight into one man's journey into spiritual leadership, it was just what I was looking for :)
on 20 June 2017
I love this so much that i am reading it mega slowly because I keep going over and over it. Wonderful book.
on 19 May 2017
A "must have" ! Good book.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
On buying this book, I was surprised that it had put in a catergory of 'Philosophy', as I imagined it to be simply an Indian history of the Sioux wars of Black Elks lifetime. However this book proves to be more than a history, it offers a look into the mind and beliefs of the Indian and his sorrow with the loss of his native life. One must read this book with a very open mind as, at first, it will seem far fetched etc. though the one gets into the book the more they would read into Black Elks words.
This book on a historical note is very good for a student of American West history, if paired with a modern book about the conflicts of which Black Elk speaks as one can really explore the attitudes of the Indians and Whites in an interesting detail.
I have always trusted the books I buy from the Nebraska Press and this one has not let me down.
0Comment| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse