Format: Hardcover|Change

on 28 February 2014
When I was doing a short sermon series overviewing the of the book of Leviticus this was recommended to me as a good scholarly commentary by my lecturer on the Pentateuch who I studied with at college . As these kind of commentaries go this one certainly ticks all the right boxes. The text is easy to read as it doesn't get bogged down with too much theological jargon, and translation difficulties are well dealt with as Wenham has done his own translation of the text. Leviticus is a very difficult book due to its nature being so strange to us in this day and age. But it is here, in these passages concerning the cultic law (or that funny stuff about what the Israelite's should or shouldn't eat or what they should and shouldn't wear) that the commentary is at its most helpful. This was not only because it provided a very helpful explanation as to why the Israelite's should or shouldn't do whatever issue the text was dealing with, but because it helped apply it to Christians today by taking the principles, understanding them in the New Testament light. For example, what Jesus had said about them, had he reinforce their use, or had he repealed them (which actually was the case with the practice of the cultic law). All in all a very helpful commentary.
on 26 July 2013
A lot of good information concerning the Jewish law. The information in this book focuses much on what the Bible itself says, rather than referring to sources outside the Bible for help with interpretation.
on 3 May 2013
The book looks good. I am happy. Yes, I am happy - happy and satisfied. Yes. Yes. Satisfied. Yes. Yes.