Customer reviews

on 12 March 2017
I'm a professional counsellor and a Christian. This is probably the best book I've read on the personal experience of bereavement. Very honest, no trite pronouncements or simple 5-step plan; just the lived experience.
on 23 March 2017
Helped
on 11 August 1999
I lost my 26 year old son in April of 1999. I have read many grief books, but this one struck home in the author's poignantly honest expression of his grief and confusion. He holds out hope but gives full recognition to the pain, the regret, the deep agony that shakes our very souls when we experience this most terrible of losses. I keep my copy on my bedside table and return to it over and over, especially certain pages which I have marked as particularly meaningful to me.
on 13 April 1998
In this thin yet moving volume, Wolterstorff doesn't hesitate to ask the hard questions about how God could allow his son Eric to plunge to his death in the mountains of Germany, and how to live with suffering, and the permanent absence that so marks every family gathering. Says Wolterstorff, the commandment to love one another necessarily has a mirroring mandate: we must suffer for one another if we truly love. The implications of this extend beyond mourning and grief and suggest that lament is a way of living faithfully, sorrowing in delight and delighting in sorrow.
on 4 November 1998
This book touched my heart. The author put into words thoughts and feelings that we as mourners seem only to be able to think. He discusses death as being evil and what God's role is in the trajic events that take place in our lives. I would strongly reccomend this book to anyone who has lost someone that is dear to them. It is very easy to read and understand. 6 stars!
on 1 September 2011
`Lament for a Son' is a remarkable book, as profound as it is moving. Alternating between past and present, Wolsterstorff describes the year following the death of his son, combining the pain of a father's loss with the incisiveness of a philosopher's meditations.

The author writes, `I shall look at the world through tears. Perhaps I shall see things that dry-eyed I could not see'. If you are ever in the situation in which you do not know what to say to those who suffer the agony of bereavement and loss (and at some time most of us are or will be), this remarkable and moving work will prove invaluable.
on 24 April 2011
As a Cruse volunteer I wanted to read this book as it's about how Nicholas Wolterstorff copes with the loss of his beloved 25 year old son in a mountaineering accident. It is honestly written and would be of great help to anyone who is grieving a loved one.
on 1 August 2015
I had hoped it was going to be useful for those who had lost a son but most of it helped those with a faith but was alien for others
on 10 October 2014
This is one of the most moving an honest accounts of grief I have ever read, I thoroughly recommend it to anyone who is trying to make sense of the loss of a loved one.
The book is primarily about the author's reaction to losing a young son but it reflected for me many of the thoughts that I had on losing my dear brother.
A real help.
on 23 January 2013
I am highly delighted with the product and can say that the service was wonderful thanks. All expectations were fulfilled.