Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 January 1999
Eugene Petersons reflections on the struggle of Christian ministry touched cords in my heart. The pain, the joy, the doubts and fears are explored as if we were talking with a fellow worker in the vineyard.
I wish I had read this book before entering ministry. Some of the dark times would not a felt so dark knowing that another had asked the same questions.
Practical, interesting and a refreshing book to read.
on 29 August 2012
The excellence of this book cannot be exaggerated or denied. It is essential reading not just for pastors but anyone involved in pastoral ministry. Peterson has a way with words that light up the soul and confirm in words the thoughts and ideas you wished you could put in words yourself! This is more than a back to basics, it is a reminder of the God-given role of a pastor to the church, and what a gift for the church to have a pastor that knows what he or she is about. I will be reading this again and again.
on 21 October 1998
I like this book! Dr. Peterson has a special knack of putting the common into the light of the extraordinary and the extraordinary into the light of the common. His musings on the "subversive" pastor are worth the price of the book. I read and continue to re-read this chapter. It inspires and motivates me to live out my calling as a leader fearlessly. Thank you, Dr. Peterson!
on 5 September 2013
I heard of this book from a friend when I began to take seriously the path God wishes me to explore, ordination.
This book "flows" with ideas and symbology. It may mot give you all the answers to why you are called. It may not answer the why, or the how, but it will open your eyes and heart in a way that allows your heart to listen.
on 2 March 2012
I have just finished reading this wonderful book which is full of wise words on how to keep ministry rooted. I intend to re-read this every other year as I enter ministry to ensure I don't get caught up being a 'professional pastor' and be true to my calling.

If you are in ministry, or leadership in a church - READ THIS BOOK!
on 22 May 2013
Best book I have read this year, should be compulsory for anyone entering Ministry and those who are already ordained :-)
on 2 March 2010
if you are a church leader/pastor/minister please read and re-read this book - it will keep you real.
on 19 April 2013
Very helpful pastoral insights and observations from an experienced church leader who has continued faith in good pastoral care rather than the latest 'successful' church growth programme.
on 2 July 2016
Well written and deep yet easy to read. Not just for Pastors, anyone could benefit.
on 21 February 2015
A well thought of book that conveys its message with a simple yet profound language