• Hush

Customer reviews

Hush
Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 May 2013
Living amongst chassidim as I do, I was drawn to this novel by an element of voyeuristic curiosity. But I leave it impressed by the restraint and control with which the author revealed her heated truth. The lushness is reserved for the love of her community she so obviously holds. The dark side is admirably unsensationalised. This is not another childhood horror story, nor cause driven rant, but a beautifully observed tale of childhood, well imagined, well crafted, well written. Well done.
on 12 March 2015
I could not put this book down as it grabbed me from the first page. This is the story of two girls growing up in an ultra orthodox community, their way of life, and how alleged cases of sexual abuse are brushed under the carpet. The story is very disturbing to think that these poor kids have no one to turn to as most of the community want to pretend that that sort of thing does not happen to people like them. Well done to Eishes Chayil for bringing this into the open.
on 12 June 2013
A very informative, and eye opening peek into the orthodox jews. They may think they are perfect but this story proves otherwise.
You must read it, especially if you have family who put themselves on a pedestal because they think you are frumer than them.
I can understand why the authoress has to hide her name. I wish I could find another book to match as this is a hard act to follow.
on 18 January 2014
Having worked as a health visitor and nurse in an orthodox community in the north of England for many years, I wish I had read this book beforehand it would have given me a better understanding, many times I have felt insulted at the way I as a gentle was treated by them, I now realize their indoctrination means they can not help it. A very good book
on 15 October 2013
This is a very brave book telling a story which needed to be told. It is so very sad that this abuse does happen and hopefully there will be many more Eishes Chayil to continue to expose and hopefully end further sexual abuse by naming and shaming. Congratulations to you Eishes Chayil.
on 16 January 2015
A difficult read, especially due to my familiarity to the community and issues involved. The bravery of the author to write and publish this important book that undoubtedly forced the topic to be broached for at least a few individuals is commendable!
on 8 December 2013
Heart wrenching story at times and I felt that I so wanted someone, anyone to report the dreadful incidents but as with these things there is a cloak of secrecy and people turn a blind eye as they do not want to get involved
on 9 January 2013
THE STORY HAD ME INTRIGUED AT THE BEGINNING BUT THIS SOON WAINED AND I LOST INTEREST AFTER THE FIRST THIRD OF THE BOOK. I DID NOT THINK IT WAS WELL WRITTEN EITHER. WOULD NOT RECOMMEND IT.
on 2 June 2013
Disappointing story I expected something more interesting.too much detail (esp.for those familiar with chassidic judaism) and the plot was not engaging in any way.
on 26 October 2014
community. the first part of the book is a bit slow. but then it gets so you can't put it down. a very moving and sad story. well worth the read