Customer reviews

on 24 January 2012
This is an excellent and easily-read encouragement to Study the Bible.

In the first two chapters, the author sets out to convince his readers of reasons to study the Bible. To do so he gives an overview of certain attributes of the Bible. He speaks convincingly of its Infallibility, Inerrancy, Completeness, Authority, Sufficiency, Effectiveness, Impact, and Authenticity. He notes "We can discuss its implications, its applications, and its meanings, but we shouldn't discuss whether or not it is true". He then lists some major benefits of Bible-study stating, and showing the Bible to be, the source of Truth, Happiness, Victory, Growth, Power, and Guidance. As he states, "The Bible changes lives. Someone has said that a Bible that is falling apart usually belongs to someone who isn't".

In chapter three, the question is asked, "Who can study the Bible?" Certain pre-requisites are clearly laid-down, all of which are confirmed by reference to the Scriptures. The serious Bible student MUST:
1. Be a Believer
2. Be Diligent
3. Have a Desire to know the Truth
4. Live a Holy life
5. Be Spirit-Controlled
6. Be Prayerful

The fourth chapter deals with "How to Study the Bible". The reader is encouraged to Read, Interpret, Meditate, and Teach the Scriptures. Very practical and helpful suggestions are given throughout as to how to gain most profit from Bible-study. There is also a consistent emphasis on the need to apply the truth learned to our lives.

I am now 35 and have sought to study my Bible since I was saved at 21. I only wish that I had been handed this book as a fresh young believer. If put into practice it may well have greatly increased my understanding of the Scriptures of Truth.
on 19 June 2012
Hi, ive been a Christian for about 10 years and ive always failed in reading my bible and learning the scriptures. This book has helped me keep at it and given me tremendous encouragement to keep reading my bible.

Johns chapters are well written and have reflective questions at the end of each section challenging the reader.

MacArthur puts across his love and joy for the bible in an easy to read way. I have been blessed by his experience and love for Gods Word. He clearly tells us who can and how best to study the bible while telling us why we should read the bible and the benefits it is to us.

This would be an ideal gift for a new christian and/or someone who was recently baptised.

This is a book i can pick up again and again and draw from it.

Well done John.
on 24 April 2015
this is worth a read if you are starting to study the Bible and gives a good start
on 27 January 2014
Great to have parts of Tozer's spoken sermons in a book. A man of God who has impacted the lives of many people. Such insight, understanding and ability to communicate spiritual truths in a simple way.
on 27 September 2016
OK
on 12 August 2015
sure it met
on 6 September 2013
Excellent read very helpful for any believer of any age. If followed should lead to a much better understanding of the Word of God
on 10 January 2014
anyone doing serious Bible study will enjoy this edition as it is very easy yet comprehensive and true to the word