on 7 February 2012
Finally, the other side of the story: why was Lucifer banished from heaven? And what is hell really like? Possessed of a fizzing intelligence, a startlingly honest and often scatological way with words, Duncan's prose is sinewy, lush, sometimes without pity, but it is also shorn of pretence, tender with resonance but more often shockingly funny, bawdy and rude. If you ever wanted to know about Angels on earth, and in hell, this is the book you need. But this isn't a book for those who baulk at religious irreverence. The devil is in charge.

Lucifer is given a chance to return to heaven - but first he has to live for a month as an ordinary person on earth. He takes possession of a suicidal writer, Declan Gunn, who has penned an unpublishable novel 'A Grace of Storms'. but Lucifer has other plans and almost before he knows what he's done, Declan has written a screenplay - and its all about the fall of Lucifer. Hollywood awaits.

We get the Tempation of Christ in the wilderness, as well as the Passover and Pilate and the crucifixion. A book that has the temerity to suggest that God has been pretty quiet in the face of torments and tortures, such as those that took place under the Spanish Inquisition, can't be all bad. It has some dips and a rather barren and indecisive ending, but it stands out as uniquely angry, defiantly taunting and a guiltily gorgeous read.
on 7 August 2012
ive never read anything by Glen Duncan before but i saw this in a book shop and i started reading the first page and began laughing out loud getting me some odd looks from other people. i immediately went home and purchased it and i love it. The whole book has a melancholic feel to but its still funny and light in places. You can almost feel the smug confidence of Lucifer leaking through the pages
Certainly a must read for anyone who has a little sympathy for Lucifer and all his demons and anyone who see the tragically depressing lives we force upon ourselves.i especially liked the way Lucifer told his life in these kind of Sunday afternoon tales it gave all things we find horrifying a kind of mundane feeling.
i will certainly be buying some more Glen Duncan books
on 14 May 2017
I found the book very easy to get into. Very funny at times. There was the main plot and a few sub plots or short stories, I found those quite disturbing but maybe they were to be expected. The book was never boring. It felt quite good at times when I read and felt I understood his more descriptive prose that was of a higher register. The book was a bit too short.
on 17 February 2016
Been one of my favourite books for years, biblical and historical events told from the other side of the story. Really not for younger audiences, I first read it at 17 and knew I'd have to avoid quoting it too heavily but it's been a strong recommendation for friends over the years.
on 14 August 2016
Glen Duncan is the most intelligent writer i am capable of enjoying, this is my favourite book. If you've read Palanuik - i think it was Damned, and imagine a more adult version. Confronting and at times very unsettling Duncan takes us on a study of evil, sometimes humorous but often extreme and blatant. Not easy but very worthy
on 27 September 2012
Well. Where to start? The premise of the story is that God offers Lucifer a deal: if he can live a relatively blameless human life, he can return to Heaven. So the Devil ends up in the body of an unsuccessful writer, with all the benefits and failings of being a human.

I am, I'm afraid, a little in love with Lucifer. The narration ranges from witty (downright hilarious in places) through deeply philosophical to dark and somewhat disturbing. Lucifer's voice is very distinctive - Duncan never lets you forget this is the Devil's story. The characterisation is remarkable: Lucifer's view of the world, sensing it as a human for the first time, is incredibly detailed; he makes what we take for granted seem utterly incredible.

It's extremely well-written all the way through, though from some of the other reviews it seems that this style of prose (lavish, sensual and gorgeously detailed description, along with clever little tricks with words) is an acquired taste. I found the book a delight to read, and it's definitely worth getting.
on 18 June 2016
I know a few people who loved this and found it very funny. While it had its moments, it just felt like it was trying far too hard to be clever. The prose was choppy and not easy to follow.
on 18 February 2017
A very difficult and unhappy read. Very put-downable with a plot that makes little sense and has no relevance to everyday concerns.
on 1 June 2014
My son recommended this to me and I'm so glad he did! I'm normally a fantasy reader with a bit of chick lit thrown in now and then.This was like nothing I'd come across before and for me, it's one of the best and most interesting books I've ever read. I loved his use of language and the historical and biblical references. Just fascinating!
on 3 February 2018
Really funny- enjoyed it immensely. Highly recommended.