on 11 May 2014
Just a wee warning for those who don't already know, Bred in the Bone is the American title for Flesh Wounds...and yes I did make the mistake of ordering the book as there was no synopsis to jog my memory or point me in the right direction...d'oh ;0)
44 comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 May 2014
The book is not the problem, it's fantastic but I've already read it under the title of Flesh Wounds. I pre ordered this book as I love Chris Brookmyre. However, none of the blurb indicated that it was just Flesh Wounds renamed as Bred in the Bone. I wouldn't have bought it if that had been made clear and now I have to pay for the privilege of returning it, thanks for nothing Amazon!
on 14 May 2014
Like the other reviews, I ordered this in advance and then found out it was just Flesh Wounds re-titled for the US market. The annoying thing is that Amazon say that this book and Flesh Wounds are frequently bought together - somehow I doubt that. The book is excellent and I hope that there will be more in this series. So 5 stars. Amazon however need to get their act together.
on 25 May 2014
Like everyone else I pre-ordered this and found it's the US issue of Flesh Wounds. There was no synopsis to state that. I have been pre-ordering my favourite authors from Amazon for a while now. I will rethink this. Not a happy customer at all. What's the response Amazon? This is unacceptable, it really is.
on 12 May 2014
Brookmyre is one of the favoured authors that I will order, unseen, regardless of reviews etc. Hence this one got pre-ordered as soon as it appeared on Amazon. Coincidentally, the very day that it arrived I happened to have a butchers at CB's website, and didnt see this one on his 'books' page. However, it was on his 'news' page with a warning that actually it isnt a new title at all, just FLESH WOUNDS re-issued by an American Publisher because they already had a book with that title in ther catalogue. Pah! Tricky one what to do about the review stars. Flesh Wounds, after all, is a 5-star book, so I suppose this is as well. That doesn't cover my disappointment with Amazon though for not making me aware that its a re-named re-issue.
on 12 May 2014
Pretty disgusted that this isn't a new book. Like others I pre ordered it before a synopsis became available. There was no indication that it was anything other than new material. 4/5 for the book. 0/5 for the way Amazon have sold it.
on 18 May 2014
Living in the United States, I sometimes order from Amazon.co.uk books (such as many of Brookmyre's) that haven't been published in the US. Last year I ordered -- and enjoyed -- Flesh Wounds, a novel worth a five star rating. Earlier this year I pre-ordered Bred in the Bone. Nowhere on the website did it indicate that the book would be a US edition of Flesh Wounds. Having contacted Amazon's returns department, I've learned that I can request a refund by mailing the book back, at my own expense, and perhaps they'll repay some or all of the postage.

After several years of successful purchases from Amazon.co.uk I guess I'd grown overly trusting and careless in dealing with them. Now, knowing they'll not only sell a retitled reprint book as if it were something new, but will also send it overseas to a buyer in the country of its publication to whom they have previously sold the original, I'll be extremely cautious in any further dealings I have with them.

I just checked, and the site's page for Flesh Wounds indicates that "People Who Bought This Item Also Bought" Bred in the Bone, while the page for Bred in the Bone shows that "People Who Bought This Item Also Bought" Flesh Wounds. Uh, yeah, but...
on 1 November 2014
Almost bought the same book twice as there was no mention by Amazon that Bred in the Bone and Flesh Wounds are exactly the same books, just marketed differently in the UK and US.If I hadn't read other customer's reviews I would not have known. Badly done Amazon. And unfortunately although I enjoyed the book (s) , I'm giving a rating of one star;hopefully this will prevent someone else from being suckered
on 6 July 2014
This review is for AMAZON- I made the same mistake as other reviewers exactly one month ago and AMAZON still hasn't reacted by putting a wee warning - surely there must be a human being out there reacting to these comments- I gave the new book to a friend but I am still annoyed- THIS BOOK IS FLESH WOUNDS UNDER A DIFFERENT TITLE.
on 13 May 2014
The star is for the devious misselling of this book by Amazon without saying it was the American title of a book they had already sold me. Very annoyed and will be talking to them about this at great length. As for the book, if you haven't read it, 5 stars!
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse