on 1 November 2016
If you love fabric flowers, ruching, shirring, VV Rouleux ribbons, pleating etc and you like Molly Goddard's dresses and Boho outfits, then you need to buy this book. I learnt more from 10 minutes reading this in a café than I have on some sewing courses. You can translate every technique in here onto any project, try it on quilts, bags, curtains, you name it. This book is a bible of knowledge and demystifies what looks complex in couture, to very simple samples, that will give your projects the WOW factor. No need to buy textured, expensive dress fabrics, you CAN do it yourself.
on 30 April 2013
I bought this book because I was intrigued by the many options of textural effects by studying the immense variety of ways of manipulating fabric for my fibre art projects. In particular I wanted to know more about Canadian or American smocking after having seen tutorials on YouTube, but I found very little on this aspect in the book. I liked the idea of using her methods for structural patterns which I could adapt for expressing architectural surfaces. However I find the book mostly dealt with sartorial or costume use of folding, pleating, tucking etc. all of which are very valid in themselves but which I found to be of little use to me. However, it is really a reference book, so no doubt it will prove useful in unexpected ways in the future.
on 7 July 2013
A book for the intermediate to advanced dressmaker. It's a combination of creativity and technicality, therefor you would already need to be aware of some sewing techniques and have some garment construction experience. I struggle with following written instructions, but this book is quite easy to follow, if you give it a chance. It's quite inspirational the many ways in which fabric can be manipulated and used in dressmaking - highly recommended for the serious (creative) seamstress!
on 5 December 2016
Good general information but deadly dull and boring presentation! Black and white photos are more a weak grey and could have benefited from using a professional photographer/printer. Diagrams are clear and informative. May be useful for basic instruction leaflets for teachers. Would suggest checking for a better quality book if you doing research.
on 6 October 2013
I bought this book because I love the sculptural and couture effects that can be achieved with fabric which I intend to introduce to my dressmaking and also as ideas for my art and designs. It includes most of the techniques that you would need with step by step instructions. Interestingly though the one technique which I needed more information on was Couching which was not in at all. However this book is still a good reference book for designers, artists and craft makers.
on 5 June 2013
This book, although heavily text based and would benefit from more colour images, is really great. If you want to learn about quilting stitches and interesting surface texture this book is great. I'm a pattern cutter who bought this book, so as to understand how much fabric gets used up in decoration like this. I recently received couture unfolded for christmas and it is the poor man's version of this book.
on 29 April 2017
Somewhat disappointing. No instructions.
on 10 May 2017
Plenty of clear instructions for fabric manipulation techniques, the only downside is the photographs are all in black and white.
on 25 January 2014
Lovely looking book but for me not quite explicit enough. Lots of ideas on what to do but not so much on the how.
5 people found this helpful
on 3 August 2016
Lots of technique and manipulations, finding it rather wordy and confusing to follow how to execute some of said manipulations, you definitely need more than a bit of sewing experience to understand the language of this book, and I have a textile degree! Looks like I need to do some revision, can't fault the densely packed exctiting techniques within, just wish I could do them!