Customer reviews

on 17 July 2013
The book presents a useful introduction to the Anglo-Saxon period of Britain. However, developments in genetics, archaeology, linguistics and significantly stable isotope analysis on burials, are gradually questioning the traditional early account, in particular. Indeed the reported indigenous Britons may have been a pre Roman Germanic-speaking people residing alongside the Welsh, Gaels and Picts, faced with the 5th century AD incursions of Saxons, Angles and other groups of settlers described in the text. See for example fchknols
33 Comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This book is huge and the information inside is solely based on archeology found in modern England. There are lots and lots of great pictures, maps and coin collections. The book takes us through the Roman period to the battle of Hastings. It is a very interesting read although I found it very biased towards Christianity and not very informative about our heathen heritage but still a very good book. A must have for students and all those interested in early English history. I also recommend 'A Brief History of the Anglo-Saxons' and to learn about English native Gods I recommend 'Gods and Myths of Northern Europe'. See my reviews.
11 Comment| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 January 2007
This is one of the best books I have bought from amazon.co.uk. I bought this book for a course I was taking on British archaeology. I am normally not that interested in this area of history/archaeology, being more interested in Egyptology. However, not only did this book teach me about a subject I did not really know before owning it, but it also captivated my interest and imagination about the Anglo-Saxons.

I recommend this book to everyone. It is written as a historical narrative, but it also includes descriptions of the archaeological evidence that underpins a lot of our current understanding of the time period. The text is easy to understand, well-written and concise and is complemented by a very large number of beautiful photographs. This book is not only a treat for the mind, it's also a treat for the eye.
on 24 August 2010
This is a standard work on the Anglo-Saxons, but what makes it interesting are the very lavish illustrations. These show how very skilled Anglo-Saxon workmen were.
I found the most interesting part was about what happened in England after the Romans left, before written records and how the Anglo-Saxons from a number of areas in Europe came to our shores. Some of the later material is quite intellectual and dense. There is useful archaeological analysis for researchers, lots of maps and plans as well as beautiful photographs. Useful as a source when researching Norman England as so many customs came from the Anglo-Saxons.
It makes it easier to see the chronological sequence of events, including the invasion of the Vikings.
on 2 March 2000
At first this book may seem a little daunting to anybody that has very little or no knowledge of the Anglo-Saxon period. However, if you are either well educated on the subject, or are studying it at school or university, then it is (as I have found) an invaluable book. It is detailed and the specialist pages (which really look at one aspect) are excellent! The book is well indexed, and even though the Anglo-Saxon Kings and Queens all seemed to be called Aethel-whatever, it is easy to locate the one you need.
The book is wonderfully illustrated with colour pictures, which really put some books to shame and their detail is very impressive.
on 5 May 2011
I bought this book realising that it was originally published
thirty years ago.
The illustrations are mainly black and white.
The publication style is similar to Michael Wood's In Search of the Dark Ages.Published in the 1970's
Whilst I found it interesting, it is very dated in its style of writing and the choice of words (some very big ones).
Younger readers (who we need to become interested in this subject) would find it hard going.
I found myself Googling a lot of the text to get a better understanding.
It was particularly heavy in the attention to coinage.
The author appears to be an eminent person specialising in this field.
I assume that anyone seeking to publish more dynamic work on Anglo Saxon history,
will wait until more is known regarding later finds, such as the Staffordshire Hoard.
The catalyst which spurred me to recontinue studies in the Anglo Saxons,
particularly the Kingdom of Mercia, about which so little is written.
on 6 November 2006
Ok. Just to be clear, I have never been in the slightest bit interested in history. Of anything. Or anyone. My interest in this period of English history was sparked by Bernard Cornwell's Last Kingdom, etc.. This book by James Campbell is an excellent introduction for an amateur like me. It is nicely illustrated and clearly written. If you want to fill in any missing facts around Cornwell's (partly factual) stories of this period, then this book is for you.
on 30 September 2004
Just beginning to date a little in the light of subsequent research, this is nevertheless an excellent introduction to the period, fluently written by Campbell, John and Wormald. The picture essays add detail to the main body of narrative; even more valuable are the magnificent illustrations. An essential and valuable introductory work.
on 17 January 2010
Each article in the book is competently written and complete within itself. All the information has been thoroughly researched and is explained clearly, and in context. (Five stars for quality)
I enjoyed as much as I could understand. Being a beginner, I could cope with Offa and Sutton Hoo but got a bit lost with Aethelric, Wulfred, Cenwulf and that crowd. I need to read it another couple of times to get the most out of it. (Four stars because I think it is a bit specialised for the Joe Bloggses of this world).
on 15 December 2011
An excellent book well written and ideal as a study guide for the period. however needs to be read with care due to the factual detail