Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 March 2017
Many times when I reach the end of a book on NDE or Mediumship I find myself disappointed and even slightly disbelieving. This book never gave me those feelings.
For those of us that have never had an NDE it is hard to imagine the reality of one. To me, this book leaves me wanting to be a better person and feeling that there is reason to try.
We'll worth a read.
on 22 November 2012
This is a fascinating look at a Near Death Experience which changed a man's life. Ritchie to all intents and purposes died, and then was resuscitated nine minutes later.

One of the most enjoyable things about this book is Ritchie's personal modesty with regards to his story. At no point did I feel I was being told what to believe about what had happened to him - he simply tells of his experiences with an engaging simplicity and openness.

I think the problem with NDEs and books about them is that they are taken to "prove" or to tell us something concrete about life after death. This book does not attempt to do that.

I was strongly reminded of C. S. Lewis's "The Great Divorce" by much of what Ritchie recollected. It was fascinating and sometimes horrifying to read.

I don't think Ritchie's story "proves" anything, but the story itself, and Ritchie's changed life afterwards, should give food for thought to anyone who is willing to come to the book with an open mind. Overall, interesting, and a book that has stayed with me over the months since I read it.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 January 2016
I read this book decades ago and was delighted to find that it is now available on Kindle. It is the first and one of the best descriptions of a near-death experience that I have ever read. George Ritchie was 'dead'for nine minutes and had an extended experience of the next life which permanently ruined him for getting too involved in the issues of this world. This is a fascinating and cohesive account, a real faith builder which makes you rethink your priorities in a big way. Loved it!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 29 January 2017
different cultures all ages,i know you will get the odd crackpot,but not all these people,
can be telling even if only one person is right,this is young children,old people many all ages,
surely 1 even could be right,i believe this account of what this man told us in a book.
please dont scorn it read it and you,will change your mind about DEATH.
on 2 May 2017
Fabulous book! Read many books on NED's but this one is different. A very touching story with some very profound happenings that help give proof there is something after this world.
I held on to the thought there is good and bad in this world and in the next. It is our choice where we want to be!
on 11 June 2017
An interesting read. I have read a few books of a similar nature and although most, if not all embrace a similar theme there are also a number of diverse accounts of the respective authors when writing about their experiences.

Therefore I would suggest that this book form one of a number of similar books to be read for a persons to decide just where the truth may lay.
on 27 December 2015
I think this is a great book! I first read it about 30 years ago, and I never forgotten it, although I did forget the title and the author! I was absolutely delighted to find it again, after quite a long search. I bought it for a friend to read, but read it again myself too, and it was just as good the second time. I would recommend it to anyone who rather hopes that God is real, but isn't sure of that.
on 27 April 2015
We have all wondered what happens when we exit this earth,and if it could be possible that life could continue in some form.In this book, George Richie gives a very convincing account of what happened to him when he died for nine minutes.
Thank you George for having the strength to tell the world about your experience.
on 15 January 2015
When I read this it was just confirming what I already knew as the truth, I feel that love can conquer all, hate makes you loose yourself, and the good that's all around us. We need far more love and kindness in this world, as no matter what religion you are, and what you believe happens after we die, this is the world we live in and we are all caretakers.
on 6 November 2016
I couldn't stop reading, I was so engrossed, loved every word written. What an incredible experience x thank you x