Customer reviews

Foxe's Book of Martyrs
Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 23 October 2014
Having read Foxe' s Book of Martyrs many years ago, I wanted to purchase a copy for a dear Christian friend whose surname is Fox!
First of all be careful of who you order from as the one you will receive is not necessarily the one you think you ordered!! The edition I have just been sent from World of Books seems to be an abridged, abridged version and does not contain many of the writings I particularly would like my friend to read. Having said that, World of Books have given me a refund but I presume that as I subscribe to Amazon Prime, the total amount I paid was little more. They were pretty fair in that they have let me keep the book so I can't really complain. I have now ordered again from the Book Depository Ltd., in the hope I get what I have ordered.
Having now had a gripe over editions (!), this book is an absolute "must" for Bible believing Christians. I challenge anyone to deny that these people were not given strength from God to endure the atrocities they went through by the vilest of fellow human beings for the sake of their faith. I only hope and pray I would have their courage.
7 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 25 April 2016
I bought this book for someone who was absolutely thrilled with the beautiful cover and layout of the book. She was planning to give this book as a gift to a friend, but I have a suspicion that she may well have kept it forself!
on 17 October 2014
"Be of good comfort, Mr. Ridley, and play the man; we shall this day light such a candle by God's grace in England as I trust never shall be put out." The 2002 Ambassador Books reprint looks to be a victorian condensed edition with information added about Piedmont, the cause of the poem by Milton. Foxe's Book of Martyrs, sometimes called Fox's Acts and Monuments, may not be suitable for children.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 12 February 2017
An excellent book for all who would like to know why the Christian church has got such a bad name.
on 27 May 2017
excellent book , very good book for every christian to read and learn
on 4 April 2016
It was exactly as I expected, which is a rare thing to say.
This is a classic book detailing the atrocities during the religious wars in England.
Let us hope that this sort of thing never occurs again and I include the Muslim world in this hope!
On second thoughts, this hope may be too late already.
Paul Benson
on 20 December 2016
Very good but not half way through yet.
VINE VOICEon 31 December 2012
I only bought this book as a reference, as I'm reading for a History Degree. I'm finding it somewhat boring, and am only glad I'm not a Roman Catholic, else I'd be having nightmares over some of the text.
on 27 May 2018