Customer reviews

on 1 September 2005
Such a good read I finished it in a day.
This is a fascinating book. I worried it might be focussed on mountaineering, but the author is a dab hand at recounting humorous experiences while also illustrating the more thoughtful and mystical experiences of his life.
Well worth a read and excellently printed and bound too (hardcover version).
on 9 September 2004
I'm not typically a huge fan of travel logs but this was a pleasant surprise. If you're a fan of Paul Watkins (of which I am) the background given to his past novels is worth the read alone! I really enjoyed this book though, and would love to take my own trip through Norway. I like the way the book flows and enjoy the comparisons to past Norwegian travelers. Thanks to Mr. Watkins I'll pass on the prepared food when I do get there!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 1 September 2008
Watkins, an established author and traveller goes to Norway because of an accident he once sustained working on a fishing boat where he was helped in his recovery by a Norwegian. He goes expecting to heal the spiritual part of him that had been damaged and instead finds himself on a much more complex journey.

This is part travelogue, part spiritual quest and part memoir. I found it rather patchy in places, but never having read anything about Norway before, I now feel I know a lot more. It would not be my first choice of practical travel book to read about the country, but is undoubtedly interesting in terms of giving more depth and feeling than a regular guide book.
on 2 June 2005
This book made my decision easy. And the decision was: to hand in my notice at work and travel Norway. I had always wanted to travel in Norway and after reading this book I became restless and spent many days dreaming about the north land.
This was my first book by Paul Watkins and it won't be my last, he has a great style that captures the scene, so be warned, if you read this book, you may end up leaving home too!
on 14 July 2012
There is so much to enjoy about this book. This is the best travelogue I've ever read, with multiple themes clevely interwoven, history, folklore, landscape and wry observations about the places he stays and the people he meets during his journey. It is not a macho mountain climbing book, Paul Watkins is more of a hill walker than a mountaineer, which makes this book more accessible than the cover photo suggests.

Most importantly (for me at least) was the way that Paul Watkins articulated feelings I have experienced while walking in mountains or on lonely moorland, where the vastness and natural beauty of the landscape overwhelms in a way nothing man made ever could. A truly wonderful read and a book to be treasured and reread... Now I'm saving up for my trip to Norway, have wanted to go for years, now I know that I really must!
on 1 December 2013
My sort of book (which, since these matters are personal) means you may not enjoy it so much. Old fashioned in the sense that its well written and engaging (sad that that those are now an old fashioned virtues) but I think the time well spent that I allocated for its reading.
on 4 January 2015
Rather too much on the author's various treks/climbs and not enough about Norway really, which was my reason for purchasing this book. The atmosphere the author creates is imaginative and his writing is fluent and convincing.
on 19 August 2013
Like no other book about a particular country. It refers to previous authors, some of them from long ago. You also get a sense of this authors previous experiences/fears etc.
on 14 September 2016
Bought it as a gift and my friend enjoyed reading it.