Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 February 2014
Being a first time Mac user I bought two books in Spanish on the MacBook and the OS X operating system, but none of them lived up to my expectations. However, this book explains in a comprehensive way how the MacBook and the latest edition of the OS X operating system, Mavericks, are used. It is a book of some 500 pages and the instructions and the MacBook photos show you exactly what to do. The book does not cover the basics of using a computer, such as how to drag windows around the screen and move files by dragging them from folder to folder, but if you are a former Windows user at a very basic level, this should be fine. The book has been a great help when transferring from PC to Mac. It is user friendly and easy to find what you need. Definitely the right choice.
* Brief overview
** Who is this book for?
*** Is this a good buy? / Conclusion

* MY MACBOOK is a beautiful 300- page book on the essentials of the Mac Operating System, OSX.6, Snow Leopard and Apple's laptop line including The MacBook.

This book covers all of the basics of learning what tools do what when you turn on your Apple Macintosh computer. Some of the sections deal with Menu/ Dock/ Finder; The Desktop and Expose; Networking; working on-line; Contacts and Appointments; The entertainment tools: DVD, iPhoto, iTunes, iChat.; Displays; Storage and Security.

** This book is for the beginners only. I've been an active Mac user for the better part of 10 years and going through the sections, I was pleasantly surprised at some of the features that are a part of tools that I don't normally use. But if you've fairly familiar to the OS, then there are very few features that you haven't come across or even care to use.

This is the kind of book that should be included with every new Macintosh computer. It is comprehensive on the fundamentals of using the MacBook and the Mac operating system, Snow Leopard. However, if you've been using Apple for a while, then it becomes difficult to recommend that you spend $25 for a book that may offer you a few tips that you didn't know beforehand.

*** The price. $25. Too high, even for a newbie to the Mac. As I mentioned, this is a quality book. If you're brand new to Apple then this is the first book you should pick up after first plugging in your laptop. Having said that, $25 is still too high. The borderline, for me, is $14.99, with $9.99 being ideal.

Better than 3 stars, but not quite 4. So, 3.5 stars, rounded up to 4 stars.
VINE VOICEon 29 April 2010
I am writing this review on the older of my two MacBook Pros (both of which I dearly love), and I am still wondering why such a book did not come with the laptops when I bought them new--the older one having been purchased back when OSX was only a Tiger! By means of Apple One-To-One lessons and a persistent, albeit somewhat stumbling, figure-it-out approach, I managed to survive the Leopard stage on the newer laptop, although many mysteries still remained--especially after installing the dreaded Snow Leopard; John Ray's "My MacBook" goes far in solving these.

With clear explanations, instructions, and illustrations, the author begins by explaining the intricacies of the Dock, the Finder, System Preferences, Contextual Menus, etc. Each color-coded chapter concentrates on a different area: chapter 1 (yellow tab), Desktop Space; chapter 2 (green tab), Connecting to a Network; chapter 3 (red tab), Communicating Online; chapter 4 (blue tab), Managing Contacts and Appointments; chapter 5 (yellow tab), Sharing Devices, etc. on a Network; chapter 6 (green tab), Accessing Entertainment; chapter 7 (red tab), Using Mobile Me to Access Data from the Road; chapter 8 (blue tab), Making the Most of MacBook Hardware; chapter 9 (yellow tab), Connecting Devices to Macbook; chapter 10 (green tab), Protecting Data; chapter 11 (red tab), Troubleshooting; chapter 12 (blue tab), Upgrading Hardware and Software; Appendix (yellow tab), Configuring AirPort Extreme.

Using a MacBookPro is rather like riding a horse. I mean, it is so much easier when one learns how to do it properly. Before reading this book, for instance, I had no idea that applications and folders added to the dock behaved differently (I always wondered what 'that little broken line' on the right side of the dock was!). Although I can write only from the point of view of the longtime novice, I believe that this book is especially useful to anyone who owns a Mac laptop. There is a lot to recommend in "My Macbook", and I, for one, am going to read and study it very carefully!

Reviewed for Vine; Amazon.com
on 23 February 2014
This is a very good book for new users on Mac and helped me to resolve some problems. It is easy to read and covers many topics some of which will be of little use to me. I have other books from this series and they do make life simpler when changing from Windows to Mac. I would recommend it to anyone needing such help. There are other ways of obtaining help of course but this is a smallish book which you can keep handy for reference.
on 8 November 2012
Switched from PC to MAC with nothing else but a new MacBook Pro and this little book ... knew where I was and what I was doing in less than half an hour. Would happily recommend the book
on 13 March 2014
Having finally been forced to buy a MacBook pro to become fully OSX conversant I choose this kindle book and was very pleased well written and clear laid out with useful tips and references throughout. Highly recommend for anyone new to apple or Maverick I think I will be referring to my bookmarks and notes for some time.
on 28 January 2013
I am knew to owning a MacBook Pro and this book was bought to help me navigate
the differences from a Windows PC. I have found it very helpful indeed with plenty of diagrams
and tips, plus easy reading. This is for the latest version of Mountain Lion and for this operating
system it is a must. An excellent buy.
on 15 May 2011
I got this when I bought my first macbook having used a PC for years. It is fairly basic and easy to understand. Gets you over the initial shock of the changeover. Not of IT experts or to give answers to complex questions but brilliant for learning to use the OS. I love my mac now. Why didn't I cange before?
on 10 December 2010
As a recent convert to the Apple MAC, I was looking for a simple straightforward manual to help me adjust to the MAC OSX operating system. This book fills the need perfectly and I can highly recommend it.
on 16 November 2010
This book is very good, helpful and interesting. Is the book Mac should give away with the laptop, but Mac give very little away unfortunately, seemingly a very greedy company.