on 2 October 2010
I haven't followed up the online extras of videos and podcasts but the book itself stands on its own as a comprehensive but not at all intimidating introduction to the essentials and some of the surprising extras of the program. I've used previous versions of Publisher for years so it was reassuring to be reminded that the basics remain the same but there are improved ways - to me the ribbon is an improvement - of doing them.
What did I learn from the book that I wouldn't have learnt from just continuing in the way I've always done things on Publisher? I'd never come across the design checker, that should be useful, nor had I come across the equation editor, which I guess that I won't ever use, but at least I know where it is if I ever do. The closing chapters on how you can use Publisher to design a website and for mail merge projects are fascinating and make me want to give them a try. For instance, if you send out e-mail newsletters, there's a way to send them out individually rather than as a carbon copy to an address list. Must try that.
I find that Brien Posey's personal approach to the subject as an occasional rather than a professional graphic designer is appropriate for Publisher. I use the program for designing booklets - my main work - but it's a program that aims to cater for anyone who needs to drop in to design and print the occasional poster, leaflet etc, so heavy-handed industry standard professionalism wouldn't have been an appropriate starting point for 'Using Microsoft Publisher'.
The only reason that the book just fails - and it only just fails - to get 5 stars in my review is that there's a lot of useful discussion about colour selection and colour printing but the screen shots are all in black and white.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 16 December 2010
Before upgrading to Microsoft Office 2010, I really had never heard of Microsoft Publisher. I happily used Word for all my processing needs and did the best I could when adding graphics to my text. Since my upgrade included Publisher, I thought I would take a look and maybe do some experimenting.

Whereas Word is meant mainly for text documents with perhaps an image or two here and there, Publisher focuses on layouts. Text is set up in blocks and graphics (photos, clip art, images) can be manipulated, placed, and even layered. This makes Publisher a better choice for making newsletters and brochures or setting up letterhead templates.

My initial impression of Publisher was that it would be great for small one or two page jobs. However, the author of Using Microsoft Publisher 2010, states that with the 64 bit version, publishing a book using Publisher is possible. Interesting, especially given that the book shows how to create and modify templates for consistency and how to import word text (and excel charts and graphs) into these layouts.
on 29 May 2011
I bought this book in September 2010, I do have a fair amount of experience in publishing documents of a very elaborate type in MS Publisher 2003, 2007, and Photoshop CS5 extended. I too did not use his data files, but I foud it very easy and quick using this book to find out where things where on the new ribbon format. This stopped me wasting to much time floundering around lossed, I think the book is a good buy.
John Bentley Liverpool.
on 18 July 2011
I wanted a quick and easy reference to pc problems, also detailed instructions how to get the best from microsoft publisher 2010.
This is for a re-vamp or re-write on a series of ten wood turning books,written with DTP, which are at present selling the world over.

Out of the three reference books I purchased, the book "using microsoft publisher 2010" has proved to be the best,it has the easiest reference system, not too expensive, it is also easy to understand the step by step instructions. Keep it near your Pc.
on 25 July 2014
Possibly the worst computer help book I have ever seen. I wanted a book that I could refer to as I got to grips with Microsoft Publisher 2010
I have already used an earlier edition of Publisher so wasn't a complete novice. I also use Adobe Photoshop. If I had wanted on line help there is a lot of free information obtainable via the internet. The illustrations depicting the 'Publisher' screens was so badly printed it was unreadable.
The book was not worth the paper it was printed on.
on 25 February 2011
Not impressed! It has the feel of a book written to order, without any enthusiasm or interest in the subject. Fine perhaps if you are new to Publisher and just want to make a poster and print it at home. But don't bother with this book if you have some experience of desktop publishing and want to know the detail of Publisher. The book glosses over problem areas, doesn't discuss pdf options, and doesn't mention picture formats (jpeg, etc.). Perhaps Publisher is weak in those areas? Well, I'm none-the-wiser, and the book has gone back to Amazon.
on 18 April 2012
This seems a very clear straight forward book for Publisher 2010. If you are new to Publisher this is the book for you
on 30 May 2015
This book is described as being accompanied by audio and video instruction. In practice, all you get is access to them via one month's free trial of Safari after which you have to subscribe to Safari or lose the audio/video. Not much use when ongoing instruction is required and certainly not the offer I accepted when making the purchase..
on 8 April 2014
Right up to the QUE standard. This makes the use of Publisher really understandable and should help you produce good desk top publications straight away. It also has some very useful advice about how to work with professional print shops if your print run is such that you need to have your work produced that way.
on 10 February 2015
Sorry, but I found the information absolutely double dutch.

I could not make top nor tail of it.

A computer enthusiast says it is NOT compatible for Windows 7 and is a MAC software.

I feel that I have been conned

Lord R J Hollins