TOP 500 REVIEWERon 28 December 2009
I remember how intimidating it was when I got my first computer. At the time, my husband regularly used a computer at work and thought that I should learn. Of course, I didn't even know how to turn on the thing let alone make it do something worthwhile.

Looking back, I wish I would have had a resource like Absolute Beginner's Guide to Computer Basics. The book starts right from the start. Right off, the book tells the reader that they aren't likely to damage the computer by pressing the wrong button. It also explains all the components of a computer and then takes the reader step by step through what the computer can do. Since the book is based on Windows 7 technology, the new computer owner can simply unpack the parts and begin setting up. By the end of the book, the reader will pretty much be caught up on the basics.

Absolute Beginner's Guide to Computer Basics is good for those new to computing. It provides the basics and does so in an easy to understand way. However, additional resources may need to be consulted if troubleshooting information is required.
on 5 March 2017
I got this for my father but he is not at all comfortable with this book and we tried returning, its difficult as well as only if he has a printer and can print label they can return. so it was waste of money
on 27 March 2017
A thorough and friendly introduction.
on 26 March 2015
An excellent book for beginners.
on 25 January 2013
We bought this for my brother-in -law who has not decided to buy a computer yet until he reads it
on 15 December 2009
I bought this for my husband who didn't even know how to switch the computer on,he thought it was great as it really is a beginners guide written without computer jargon and so easy to follow.
on 8 February 2013
I recently volunteered to work with AgeUK and because of my previous experience was assigned to a group of people even older than myself who wanted to learn more about computers and how to make the best use of them. As I had been dealing with young people up to NVQ level 3 I was worried I might pitch my training sessions too high so I bought this book along with several others to help bring me down to earth and look at things through the eyes of someone not familiar with computers. The book was exactly what I wanted, basic but not stupid. It covered Windows 7 and went through the various steps in a logical manner. As it turned out my 'students' had even less knowledge than I had anticipated and the basic explanations were just what I needed combined with lots of demonstrations and practice. Highly recommended but not for someone who has purchased a computer with Windows 8 as its O.S.
on 13 March 2012
I am self-taught on my computer and missed a lot of things on the way to getting on the internet. This book is answering all my questions about photos, documents etc. and much more.
on 27 January 2013
I bought this for my mum and dad (in their 70's) and just getting to grips with the internet and all that goes with it. I had a quick look before I wrapped this up and it seems like a really good guide to 'how to' etc, so I think they will be on their way to knowing their way around the net before too long :)
on 30 December 2013
I have had a computer for an extremely long time and I have never really come to grips with it. I have looked through this book and I think that it will a great help to me

I have had a computer for an extremely long time and although I have been to classes I have never felt that I have come to grips with it. I have had a quick look through this book and I think that it will be a great help and I will finally know what I
am doing