Customer reviews

My interest in WWI is decades long. I have read very many books. I have also reviewed a number of DK books. They usually fall into the category either of "overview" or of "photography". Either way, they tend to be information-lite and, despite the production quality, I have never before given one a 5* review.

Put simply, I have never read a better overview of WWI. Since this is a DK book, it means that this is also very heavily illustrated. Some of the illustrations are the well known, much used ones. Many are not. There is much that I could say, but it would all boil down to this - if you are looking for a neutral and comprehensive overview of WWI, this is the book you want.

It really is that good.
on 18 December 2010
This book is a fantastic overview of the Great War. It is well laid out in chronological order, summarising the battle fronts in Europe and further afield. Maps are used throughout so the reader can understand the progress of the war through its various stages. The annotated glossy photographs and various personal recollections also give the individual a clear insight into the war from its different angles. I had seen a number of brief documentaries about the War and was looking for a book to give me a more complete picture from start to finish. This book does all that and more, including setting the scene before the war and discussing the aftermath. It also serves as an excellent reference book.
on 30 July 2007
This book is simply great! DK really knows how to make enjoyable books. The presentation of this horrible war is thorough and the lay-out and illustrations are stunning.
on 27 February 2017
Simply fantastic book. I used this extensively writing essays for university and still find it a fascinating read. I don't think a more comprehensive and accessible account of the Great War is possible.
on 16 November 2010
Anyone wanting to know about World War I, get this book. Very happy with the amount of text contained in this book ..... and images as well. This is definitely a book for anyone wanting to know about World War I. Another great book from DK. Contents are as follows ...

The Road To War

The Last Great Battles

A New World Order

In Memoriam
on 23 April 2015
Nice book on a sad period in history, Well written and illustrated, Arrived well within time schedule at a good price
on 26 December 2006
My partner was going to buy this excellent book for me for Christmas but was thrown by the 1 star rating of John Jones. Suprisngly his review is quite positive and those on the publisher's site are even better. But one star was enough to sway the purchase and a different choice was made. All is not lost thanks to Amazon's excellent returns service and finally I will get my copy of this comprehensive and well illustrated history.
on 13 August 2013
The book arrived two weeks ago but I haven’t opened the package yet because I can see from the size of the package, the HARDCOVER World War I book by HP Willmott I’d ordered isn’t the size I thought I’d ordered!

I am after the larger hardcover version of the same book. The hardcover dimensions I’m after are 12.2 inches x 10.3 inches x 1 inch. I already have the soft-cover version of this book (a similar size to the book just received), but the size I am after is the same as another Hardcover HP Willmott book I have called 'World War II'.

The dealer (Greener Books in the UK), very kindly offered me a full refund if I returned the book but unfortunately, the cost of shipping from Australia is prohibitive (twice the cost of the book itself!).

So I still have the book in its original packaging.

Any idea from where I can source the larger HARDCOVERED VERSION?

Many thanks and regards,

Michael Trefusis-Paynter
on 9 July 2006
DK produce good books. And this one is good. The intriguing picture on the front which shows a Russian unit with their mascot is a good indication of the contents. Following a

timeline, 1914-1923, the text is broken into key subjects that are relevant to that time. For example Chapter 6 Dellusion, Mutiny and Revolution 1917 covers what you'd expect as well as providing a flavour to the period events. Being a much photographed war, the book is full of evocative pictures many of which I've not seen before or in other texts, and the layout of the book in true DK style makes it a participative read and an attractive way to learn of this cataclysmic time. And at the price asked-simply excellent value for money in my opinion.
77 Comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse