on 4 December 2016
This started as a good conceptual SciFi, but for me it soon got bogged down in the fairly dry politics between different factions of colonists. This facet was interesting for a bit, but I felt it was overly long and meandering, and would have preferred a little more focus. Ultimately I felt I got a little bogged down in it, and didn't feel this lived up to the classic status it is often assigned.
on 15 August 2002
The first volume of Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy is absolutely magnificent. This is a book for non-SciFi readers, as well as SciFi fans: the subject matter is wide-ranging and the book kept my interest throughout.
In some ways it struck me as a 21st Century version of what it must have been like for the early colonisers in the United States.
The book is beautifully written, a pleasure to read, and manages to get inside the heads of the main characters without falling into the Dickensian trap of too much description and not enough action.
I read it cover to cover in under a week and had to buy the second book the day I finished the first one.
I would put this in my list of all-time best reads, and for me that is saying something!
on 18 February 2016
I loved this book - it feels well researched and it's very enjoyable. :)
on 12 August 2017
Amazing book. Like someone from the future wrote what actually happened in the 2020s and 2030s on Mars
on 28 August 2017
i really enjoyed the start of this story. i read to the end but lost momentum reading it. i found the politics in the story distracting
on 26 June 2014
Though not crushingly awful, I really can't see the appeal of this book. My main criticism is that the characters never came to life, so ultimately I couldn't care what happened to any of them. I very rarely give up on a book halfway through, but I did with this one. I've been reasonable and awarded this two stars because it is at least well edited and coherent, unlike many of the self published works.
on 16 August 2013
not my fave subject matter but a friend of mine said that it was one of the best science fiction books and that I had to read it, and actually I am finding it well written and it keeps my attention.
on 3 October 2013
the frist in the series great characters almaost like being on mars a book will you want to read again also a good talking point the 1st people to live on mars a dream we all have
on 5 March 2015
Woops!! about a quarter of the way through this book I realised I had read it when it was first published years ago. Still read it all though. Not a bad book but not the best I have read about the colonisation of Mars. Worth a read.
on 20 June 2014
Lots of detailed science , as well as a good narrative , have bought the second part too, not a " light" read for me