on 14 April 2017
Really enjoyed it ,I felt as exhausted as Jack in end ..
on 7 January 2014
Jack Daniels is my hero. She's tough, tender and got a little ages on her. CB is my favourite of all her books, that is until the next one. Bravo!
on 8 September 2015
Always an excellent read - no long winded descriptions -just gest on with the action
on 11 April 2013
Running out of ways to describe these books, I just think they are a great read, fast paced, and I like the characters,loved the ending this time,looking forward to the next in the series now.
on 16 August 2013
This is the climax to a great series of books about the police woman Jack Daniels. A great read and keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout.
on 7 May 2017
Reading the whole series, don't normally do crime books, but these have a great mix of suspense, humour and crime
on 16 June 2012
I don't want to spoil it for those who havnt read it yet but wasn't happy with whom mr konrath killed off :-( but life goes on and cherry bomb is a riot , as mad paced as his other books and a great read , love the humour , love the characters and love jacks new fella , they need to get married and have babies <3
highly recommended 4 stars from me ****
on 18 May 2013
This was the first Jack Daniels book I've read, so I wasn't aware of what had happened in previous ones, but it was easy to pick up and I thoroughly enjoyed the story of a female psychopathic serial killer who wants revenge against the female cop who is the cause of her woes. Kilborn pulls no punches in his creative descriptions of what the killer gets up to - the only worry might be that real psychos might try and copy, but that's life (or death). At least one other reviewer has commented on many misspellings (I didn't spot many apart from US spellings), and misplaced spaces in words - lots of these, especially in certain words such as "ban dage", "ser vice", "plea sure", "to night"; I can't think of any good reason for these repeated errors - distracting, but not enough to spoil the book. I shall certainly read more of Kilborn - in my view his serial killer characters and story are better than those from authors such as Patricia Cornwell and Jeffery Deaver.

Update 20/9/14 - I've re-read Cherry Bomb, having now read books 1-5. I'm more clued-up on the characters and their histories, but I'm going to revise my rating to 4 stars on the basis that the plot is becoming repetitive eg psycho killer is loose, Jack becomes primary target, Jack gets stalked and there are some near misses, Jack wins through but someone close to her gets it... This one follows the pattern of previous stories, but I've kept going (and given a good score) because Konrath's humour shines through in all his books. This time the humorous dialogue is generally between Jack and Harry McG (who seems to get the rough end of the stick every time) rather than Jack and Herb, but the same ridiculous scenarios can be visualised in their banter. Good stuff but I must admit I'm flagging....
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 18 August 2013
After reading the first book in this series, I then downloaded the rest of them. This was unusual for me and probably not something I would do again. I had enjoyed the first few books, and appreciated the wit and humour which lightened the rather dark plots. Sadly as I read through the later books, the storylines (which had always been a little bit far fetched, but, in the first instances, not enough to put me off the books) along with the gratuitous violence began to get a little bit old. If this had been the first of these books I had read, I would probably have felt differently about it. To be fair however, although all these books stand alone and can be read without having read the others, I think that it is necessary to have read at least the previous book, Fuzzy Navel, Fuzzy Navel - A Thriller (Jack Daniels Mysteries) and probably to have started with Rusty Nail Rusty Nail - A Thriller (Jack Daniels Mysteries) to understand what is happening and why.

On its own the book is tense, giving that "edge of the seat" experience, hoping that Jack will get to each imperilled person in time, especially when that person is someone very close to her. The dark humour which threaded through each of these books is less obvious in this one, apart from the monkey, which could be a metaphor for the life she has been leading - or is that Harry's life? We are rewarded by seeing Jack working out what it is that she really wants from life and how she intends to attain it. There is even a touch of sympathy from this hard boiled cop as she receives the results of a crucial DNA test.
If I hadn't become jaded by reading the rest of the series I would have really liked this book, especially the deep friendships which develop. Jack even ends up with a grudging friendship of a sort with Harry that she would never have imagined the first time we came across him, but he is sort of tenacious!
on 18 January 2013
Wow ... last time was far fetched, this time things get crazy with loads of sex thrown in !! Everyone's at it .... the gags & the action come thick & fast ( excuse the pun.. ) the killing goes up a notch and your up to your eyelids in blood, bullets and bombs ... i thought Mr Konrath had lost the plot half way through and 'Jack' became so sterotypical ' cop looses loved ones, goes off the rails & pushes everyone away' ... but he brought it back round in the end .. allbeit kicking & screaming but at least he tied everything up neatly .... I'm interested enough to see how he takes the characters forward in the next installment as the original framework is pretty much in tatters ... as are all things that Jack touches !! At least her dress sense was better this time .. slightly ..