Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Morrissey Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

on 27 December 2001
The size of this book may appear daunting at first, but the easy style of writing and the exacting detail of the research made it one of the best books I have had occasion to read. Mr. Duiker provides us with meticulous detail on the life of this enigimatic figure, I am amazed that so much information on a life can be gleaned at such a distance in time and from so many countries. Never did I feel lost or ever loose track of the salient character in the twists and turns of the history of Vietnam. Ho Chi Minh's persistence in his ulimate goal, the independence of Vietnam always at the forefront of his actions, his dealings with the major players on the international scene, his unique travels, so well documented, and the authors interpretations of Ho Chi Minh's actions kept to a minimum, because of the detail in which his work was described. One very small critisim I would have liked a few more dates especially the years of events in the last part of the book when events moved very quickly. I came away from Ho Chi Minh with great admiration of his patience, tolerance and vigilance, qualities of which I suspect his biographer also pocesses.
on 15 May 2016
This book it's a masterpiece. The history of Ho Chi Minh is just so well documented and written in this book which I find so beautiful. The way Duiker writes is just the way I like it. Straight to the point and really easy to read, not fuss around. Furthermore whenever some of the facts are unclear, these are specified in the notes and he doesn't try to give any point of view or personal opinion. Absolutely love this book
on 27 December 2015
Very detailed and beautifully written biography of one of the world's greatest revolutionaries.
on 18 February 2013
This book provides a detailed look at one of the most interesting leaders of the modern era. Before picking it up I had no idea just how significant Vietnam has been in modern history and the huge part Ho Chi Minh had to play in it. Compared with other leaders of the same period, Ho Chi Minh is not what you expect him to be. His insight and understanding of human politics and ability to forsee events as they would eventually unfold is remarkable. The warmth and respect of those who met him was also a great surprise and his personal charisma is a re-occurring theme throughout. As far as wise men are concerned, this biography left the same impression on me as Nelson Mandela's 'Long Walk to Freedom' and has many interesting parallels. Under different circumstances Ho Chi Minh may have become a more widely celebrated figure in World History.
on 15 April 2002
Duiker's biography presents a useful portrait of the great patriot and revolutionary, Ho Chi Minh, the founder of modern Vietnam. Despite its predictable anti-communist bias, the book gives us enough evidence to make our own minds up. Duiker gets hung up on the false dilemma - was Ho a nationalist or a Communist? Of course, he was both; there is no incompatibility. It's like asking whether George Washington was a patriot or a revolutionary! Ho's goodness, his morality, his simplicity, modesty and courage shine through the book.
44 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 May 2013
Ho Chi Minh by William J. Duiker is a very good book about the founder of modern Vietnam. It is a well-written, informative and detailed book that deals with the life and career of the nationalist revolutionary turned communist leader who became known to history by one his many pseudonyms. The slight drawback with the work is that there are so many names, groups and abbreviations to remember that it can be quite confusing. All in all though this is a very good book.
on 14 October 2014
I am halfway through this book. Book is very informative which goes into lots of details. I am finding it hard as it difficultkeeping with the names and organisations/associations formed. I don't have much of a historical background so maybe that may have helped. Nevertheless I wanted to read this book to understand Ho chi Minh better which I believe I am getting from this book.
on 18 June 2015
There's a lot of background information missing- the war between France and China in Vietnam is hardly mentioned at all. Also, I've never seen a book with so many spelling errors in my life. But I suppose it's not that bad, you get a decent enough idea of what he did
on 17 January 2015
Perhaps I was mistaken in my belief that this was a book which would reveal the personality and character of the subject. While giving lots of detail about his travels and the intrigues of the Communist Block, I found little to enlighten me on the man himself.
on 7 May 2015
A big, big book, and probably the best on the subject that I have read. It could have done with perhaps a postscript, or at least a little more on Minh's death and the immediate and later aftermath.