on 20 April 2005
This is such an amazing book, if you loved this film and want to learn more about it buy this book. Being interested in stop motion animation myself I have found this book so useful, letting me read about one of my all time favourite films and learning all the things I wanted to know about it. It gives you an insight into how the film is made, the making of sets and each of the main characters, as well as the words to all the songs. Its totally awesome.
on 15 November 2015
I have always been a big fan of The Nightmare Before Christmas and many of Tim Burton's films. The beautifully Gothic and expressionist animation from the film carries on into this beautifully presented "making of" book. There is a great deal of original artwork, sketches, production / character designs, behind the scenes photos and information exploring how the animators, director, composer and crew made this quirky animation film into a holiday classic. If you are a fan of the film this is a must have collectors item.
on 3 June 2016
Lovely book with lots of photos and artwork. The only reason I have not given it 5 stars is compaired to some of the new 'Art of movie'books I have bought this book is a little dated. Could have been more lavish! But still a lovely book.
on 29 November 2010
Tim Burton's original poem is stunningly presented in this hardback edition alongside beautiful original illustrations. Those expecting a storybook that accompanies the film will be disappointed - as I mentioned, this is Burton's original poem and has nothing to do with the 1993 movie's storyline - so no Oogie Boogie, Sally, Dr. Finklestein... You get the idea. To me the book is worth it for the pictures alone and is a must for any Nightmare fan. Definitely worth more than the three stars another reviewer gave.
on 12 May 2011
I first saw "The Nightmare Before Christmas" as a child. I enjoyed it, although I didn't understand it and was left with a clutch of confused, half-remembered memories about a strange film that provoked in me equal parts terror and wonder. Eventually, I realised what that mysterious film in my memory was, decided to re-watch it and instantly fell in love with it all over again, only this time as an adult.'Nightmare' also provoked my long-term interest in stop-motion animation.

It was almost a foregone conclusion that I would purchase this book when I saw it on Amazon one day. When I subsequently received the book, I devoured the contents in one sitting on the day of delivery and read through it again several times over the subsequent days.

The book tells the story of 'Nightmare's creative and technical development, from initial concept through production to completion. It gives lots of detail regarding what went on 'behind-the-scenes' aspects, but presents its information in a manner that is easy to understand and enjoyable to read for the non-professional. The book includes contributions from various of the professionals involved in the process of bringing the film to the big screen, along with an abundance of supporting images. The packaging is very slick; the paper stock and print quality is comparable to a decent art monograph or fashion book, with thick paper and glossy, high resolution images which make it a delight to flick through over and over again.

Both in content and form, this book is as wonderful as the world Tim Burton created in the film. It is perfect for any fan of the film!
on 7 June 2015
Most people who follow Walt Disney Studios' films know about the movie "The Nightmare Before Christmas". A stop motion masterpiece directed by Henry Selick and produced by Tim Burton (unavailable as he was filming Batman Returns), this fable is the third part of a trilogy Tim Burton did I personally call "The Christmas Trilogy". One that started with Edward Scissorhands, continued with Batman Returns, and finished with this story. That of Jack Skellington who, tired of the same relentless life as Pumpkin King in the world of Halloween, wishes of something new and inadvertently stumbles unto the world of Christmas. Uncovering a culture he wishes to share his own take to all the children in the real world. A good intention that brings forth more trouble than what he intended.

Let's make it straight, this book is not a direct adaptation of the movie. Instead, this is the original poem Tim Burton had written and proposed to the Studios when he worked as a Disney Animator in the late seventies and early eighties. A poem with his original illustrations accompanying his stanzas. Artwork that is instantly recognizable with its German expressionism and its faerie colors, and character designs. Regarding that last aspect, it is interesting to see that although the characters of Oogie Boogie and Sally are absent, characters with their eventual designs do appear in the background at a certain page. As to whether or not Tim Burton had done those paintings in the seventies before he even got to produce this movie in the nineties, it would be wonderful if he had done that art in the seventies as that specific illustration would foreshadow Sally and Boogie's eventual presences in this story.
Among my favorite artworks, I particularly adore the two-paged painting that presents Jack falling down into Christmas town, and also the last one as Halloween land is.... no, I won't reveal that spoiler. Would ruin the story's punch.

Personally, I know a video version reading of that story also exists on certain DVD releases. Narrated by Christopher Lee, his voice has the perfect tone acting skills to give the story the emotional reading it deserves. Not only that, it also ties in with what Burton did with Vincent Price for his first short film, "Vincent". A masterpiece that was the best love letter a fan could give to his favorite actor, this special reading is another tribute to another actor Burton respected.

In sum, the "Nightmare Before Christmas" book is the perfect classic for Christmas and Halloween time. The universe for which Tim Burton shall always be fondly remembered of.
on 15 November 2011
Really nicely presented hardback book version of Tim Burtons original poem which led to the movie. As mentioned in another review the poem does not include the full story as covered in the film, but in fact I think this is good as it makes a more child friendly read.

The illustrations are indeed beautiful and my children loved reading it. As a fan of the film I could definitely recommend.
on 27 May 2008
I loved this film as a child and I still do now, so when I saw this book I decided to buy it as I am such a big fan! It has everything from Tim Burtons orginal art work of the characters to the building of the set/ models to all of the song lyrics.
It is amazing to learn how much effort went into the film and interesting to learn about the processes involved.
This book is a real treat to anyone who appreciates this film, animation and illustration.

A brilliant buy, totally worth it!
on 23 November 2009
This is an interesting book as it tells the story of the nightmare before christmas in a poetic form. It has great illustrations but it is a very thin book and i would have liked it to be bigger. The book is short but sweet.
on 23 April 2014
The book cover is on back to front & upside down. I would have actually sent it back & complained but my daughter saved up her own money to buy & was so excited that I didn't want to take it back off her. But did have super fast delivery 😄 maybe the book was meant to be made like that? I don't know but I never seen it before unless it's been a printing mistake.