on 17 March 2016
great!!
on 21 October 2016
Funny and enjoyable book.
on 4 November 2015
I guess the first thing to point out is that before this I was yet to read anything from Nora Ephron which makes me feel like I am definitely missing out on some stunners. I did have a nosy in the Amazon reviews and one stated ‘Ephron could write about the telephone book and make it entertaining’ and I completely and utter agree. The book is a selection of essays that are based on the idea of getting older (kind of explains the neck bit I guess,) and the way we can and should embrace these changes. It’s one of those books that makes you think and take a minute to appreciate what you have.

One of the best of the ‘essays,’ is named ‘On Maintenance.’ The writing describes how much time we spend making ourselves look perfect and how over time these few minutes of time add up to years and years of time. It puts into perspective the things we do each and every day and how much time we spent trivalaising over things that are so very insignificant in our lives. The essay entitled ‘I Feel Bad about my Neck’ is terribly funny and lead to me spending a good ten minutes inspecting my neck. It leads from the idea that you never know what you had until it’s gone. One day we will all mourn for the wonder of our twenty year old necks – I’m sure.

The essays take on a number of different topics; falling in love with different concepts, people and places, and especially apartments and the reason we do so with very little reason. We become sentimentally attached to things and yet years, months, maybe as little as days later they get replaced by something else that we will find ever more satisfying. Whether that is relationships, places, books or food choices we are at one time or another going to move on with our lives and find something new to appreciate and that is okay. These concepts are really wonderfully described in the essay ‘Serial Monogamy: A Memoir’ about her affection and obsession with several different cookbook authors.

Some are ranting – most seen in the hysterical ‘I hate my purse’ but they have a positive feel throughout and all feel as though the author is sat just streaming out her ideas and emotions. This writing I adore; it is honest, candid, and frank. It’s not trying to do something, it’s not trying to sell a lifestyle it’s an honest look at things many of us women do and an understanding that it’s okay; maybe sometimes a little irrational but that really is the beauty of life. “The Story of My Life in 3,500 Words or Less” shows this perfectly.

I found this book utterly delightful and yet a little mournful; it made me think and take a moment to step back. Many of you will know I’ve been spending a lot of time stepping back and looking at my life, the things that fuel my insecurities and how to deal with them and whenever I have an internal struggle this will be the book I pick up. An essay a night would be perfect way to fall asleep feeling a little calmer with the world.
HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 25 May 2007
I think Nora Ephron could write about the telephone book and make it entertaining (one brief section in this book about parenting proves the point). Here's an example. Most writers don't want to think about aging. If they do, they want to prescribe "solutions." Nora Ephron has a different idea: Simply describe aging as something we foolishly try to stave off (pretty unsuccessfully) by sharing her own experiences.

That concept is best captured by her essay "On Maintenance" that describes in detail the time, money, and effort she puts into trying to look as good as she can. I'm reminded of a conversation I had with my cousin (who in her more naive days was a beauty queen) who always looks terrific. When I complimented my cousin on her appearance once, she replied, "You have no idea how much more effort it takes every year." Now, I do!

The essay "I Feel Bad About My Neck" is very funny. I don't think I ever look at women's necks . . . but now I know that some women do. Apparently it's all downhill after 43. The essay ends with the irony that Ms. Ephron cannot do anything about her neck without a facelift, and she's not a good candidate for a facelift.

I also liked her essays about how we fall in love with concepts, places, and people . . . for no particularly good reason. But that temporary embrace is soon replaced by another one that will probably be even more satisfying. Although not described that way, you get a sense that she views her prior two marriages much in the same way. This concept is beautifully explored in "Serial Monogamy: A Memoir" (about her affection for various cookbook authors), "Moving On" (about her 10 year delight in a large apartment in New York), "The Lost Strudel" (her desire to recreate happy experiences through food that's no longer easy to find), and "Me and Bill: The End of Love" (about her feelings about Bill Clinton as a leader).

Some of her essays border on being rants. I found those the least appealing. These include "I Hate My Purse" and "Blind as a Bat."

Vignettes are powerfully shared. I loved her humorous take on probably being the only White House intern JFK didn't make a pass at and her expert explanation about why typing was irrelevant as an intern in the JFK White House in "Me and JFK: Now It Can Be Told." She also does vignettes brilliantly in "The Story of My Life in 3,500 Words or Less."

She ends with thoughts about dying, and humor fails her. But "Considering the Alternative" is the section where you see the real woman most clearly.

Writers will love her mother's advice: "Everything is copy." The older I get, the more I realize that's true.

Those who like to fall asleep with a smile will find it makes sense to read one essay a night before turning off the light.

on 14 January 2010
This book is an absolute delight, women of all ages will relate and laugh. You will see yourself and your friends in a very good way. Hurry and buy it.
on 30 January 2011
I've admired Nora Ephron's film work for a long time. She wrote the screenplay for 'When Harry Met Sally', one of my favourite movies. She has a wonderful knack of writing humorously and hauntingly all at the same time.

'I Feel Bad About My Neck' is a series of short essays about her life. It reflects that time in life when each of us has to face our mortality, work through the inner turmoil that may bring and arrive at a place where we can be at peace with ourselves and our age. This is a chocolate box book. One into which you can dip in every now and again and pick out a soft cream one day and a brazil nut the next. For example: "But if the events of the last few years have taught me anything, it's that I'm going to feel like an idiot if I die tomorrow and I skimped on bath oil today." Funny and very readable.
on 6 February 2015
This is an entertaining book for women of all ages, not just mid-aged or older women. I'm 29-years-old and enjoyed all essays. In fact, I would especially recommend this book for young women. We often forget or try to forget we will not stay young forever, maybe we don't want to think about it, maybe we shouldn't even really think about it and enjoy our youth when we can. But hearing about the experiences of older women open our eyes to the 'luck' we currently have and not realize. Nora was right in the book. If you are young and healthy, you never think about your neck. It's when you get older and your neck decides to take a trip to the south you get aware, "I had a neck all these time I did not appreciate as much as I should have."

It's not all wisdom or learning, the book is meant to be entertaining and it does that very well. Let me also warn you the book is shorter than it seems. It says 224 pages, but the chapter titles have their own page just for the title, I take my time when I read and even I finished the book in less than a day. So if you are looking for something to read on the plane, or for the weekend, you better get a second book.
VINE VOICEon 11 June 2007
This book reminded me of why I don't buy womens' magazines.
I read it as a book club choice, otherwise I would never have chosen it.
I'll be interested to hear what the others thought tomorrow when we meet.

The author discusses many of the things that worry women of a certain age, from signs of aging to children fleeing the nest. All these things are discussed often enough amongst groups of women, I don't need to read about them too.

(Edited to say that the reaction of my book group was fairly muted. We discussed her opinions on things; the very minor appearance of her three husbands and her one true love - her apartment, in particular. We'd all had to buy the book in hard back and when asked if we thought the book value for money, the answer was a resounding 'no'.)

And in parting I'll just say that if I had 2,600 dollars to spend on a 'Kelly bag', I'd go and buy books!!