Customer reviews

on 13 October 2017
bought as a present
HALL OF FAMETOP 10 REVIEWERon 25 April 2014
The story running through issues #1-6 of Marvel Now’s new Deadpool series is collected as Deadpool - Volume 1: Dead Presidents (Marvel Now). I am not a particular fan of Deadpool; some of his books have been entertaining, and others have not. This one was a really entertaining story, with some excellent artwork and humour, both verbal and visual; even the covers were stand-alone funny. There is a good plot that actually fills the six issues and provides plenty of room for humour and horror, some repulsive, some not. If you have not read any Deadpool before, and have a strong stomach, then this is an excellent starting point for you.
on 29 January 2014
This is my favourite take on Deadpool to date, and this is the strongest of the 3 volumes, for me. Moore's art is much less dreary and dark than previous recent Deadpool incarnations, and the vivid bright colours are more suited to the OTT ridiculousness of the story arcs, and the outlandish violence. It looks excellent from start to finish. I love Daniel Way's Deadpool as it's very well written, but it doesn't *look* as good as this.

The gags and one liners are crammed in at every possible opportunity. Most of Deadpool's dialogue reads like a tacky action-movie catch phrase, repeatedly. I guess that would be something you either love or hate.

There are 100's of straight-faced and darkly structured superhero comics out there, and this isn't one of them. A welcome break from the saturated superhero market. Very light hearted, utterly bonkers, wildly humorous and crudely violent. A good starting point for newcomers as it's a light hearted read, and a must-have for long-time fans, as I believe this is the best Deadpool has been.

It's just a shame Moore didn't continue doing the art for Vol 2 & 3, but that's not a slight on this volume, which is superb.
on 5 November 2013
I'll have to admit first, I'm not that well experienced in Deadpool's wide array of story's but this one didn't entertain as much as I'd had hoped.
In other mediums, games, animations, etc, Deadpool has more humour to him, in this book I felt the writers tried to make everyone funny. There was never any hopes in my mind this'll be a serious story to read into, however it drags jokes and the plot line to unnecessary lengths.
It was a good page turner for this first quarter/half then it dropped drastically during the middle. Still something you could read if you're doing nothing.
on 22 January 2017
Deadpool fans get reading!!! This stuff is electric!! Got Deadpools humor, how stupid SHIELD is and just plain awesomeness 😁
on 4 August 2016
Exactly as described! Extremely happy with it!
on 28 December 2015
Brilliant
on 3 August 2014
I bought this book having listened to Brian Posehn on the Doug Loves Movies podcast, I'd found him funny and engaging, I wasn't disappointed by this book.
Normally I steer clear of Marvel, of the ones I've read, I've never really found them to my taste.

Generally I enjoy the darker characters like Batman and Dread. Usually find quippy characters irritating and damningly, not funny (I'm looking at you Spider-Man.).

If this book is typical of Deadpool in Posehns hands then I'm onboard. It's funny, whitty, and rips along at a good pace.
The art is great as to 've expected with a marvel comic.

I don't get the odd reference, but I'm English and the ones I don't get I think are niche to American culture. The one question I'm left with is why is the necromancer wearing a kilt?

The only reason I don't give it 5 stars is nothing is perfect.
on 17 March 2014
I have been meaning to get into the deadpool comics for a while now and finally got around to buying this one. It was a great place to start, i will be getting the others asap
on 20 September 2013
I have recently got into comics and all the hype made me by this. If anything it was understated. It was probably the first time i laughed a comic. I would definitely recommend this product. Great for comic new comers.