on 26 August 2015
The original Spiderman comics featuring Peter Parker are now well over fifty years old, and in that time Spiderman has gained a lot of baggage. Part of why I read this was because I wanted to start from scratch with a new kid, a new origin, and a more modern idea about the trials that kids have. In the 1960s, writing a skinny naive teenager like Peter Parker as a new superhero was Marvel's idea of introducing diversity into comics. Fifty years later, a reluctant hero like Miles Morales, who also happens to be an african american twelve-year-old living in Brooklyn with struggling parents is much more realistic, and a lot more interesting as a cultural snapshot than Peter (RIP), MJ and Aunt May. The book is written beautifully and Bendis obviously loves the whole idea of Miles, his mission and his friends and family. Miles is only a child, and the real difficulties of a child having any kind of independent life away from the glare of parents, school and friends, let alone be a superhero fighting experienced adult adversaries, is dealt with very carefully. His experiments to reveal the extent of his powers, his initial attempts at crime-fighting, and his interactions with other superheroes are all carefully orchestrated to be as realistic as possible, without slowing down the pace too much. Despite being about a twelve-year-old boy, this comic does not deal with trivialities of childhood; Miles has to take on incredible responsibility early on, and the story is action-packed, the writing is charming, and the artwork is superb (but the digital cover artwork is unfortunately not good). This is a perfect introduction to the Marvel Universe for a newcomer, and is an injection of new life into the Spiderman family of comics.
on 1 November 2016
I'm glad people enjoyed this book so much: there's nothing wrong with it and people shouldn't read my review and think "wow, one guy put three stars: I better read this to make sure I'm not buying something really bad", because you wouldn't be, not really (in my opinion, anyway).

The reason I'm giving it three stars - meaning "it's okay" per Amazon guidelines - is because "it's okay" is the best way I can think of to describe this book, simply. Miles Morales as a character is interesting enough, but is he interesting enough to stand up on his own and can his character step out of Peter Parker's shadow? There's no mantra about power and responsibility, no shocking loss of life driving him. Spider-Man is an anti-power fantasy character: he doesn't always want to be Spider-Man but he feels a weight of responsibility on his shoulders. Miles doesn't want to be Spider-Man, at least at first, because he's a kid who doesn't want to get hurt ... and because he thinks he's a mutant, and mutants are responsible for an awful lot of bad in the world (an opinion he apparently inherits from his father).

I struggle with the idea of his origin story being so similar to Peter's, too. I guess what I'm saying is: I just don't see what separates this book from the crowd. It's a perfectly competently written story (Bendis' stuff usually is, love him or hate him - and his run on Ultimate Spider-Man in the early 00s was great, if you ask me), but there's just nothing there to really shout about.
on 15 December 2016
I finally got the chance to read Miles Morales debut solo run as Spider-Man and it has not disappointed so far. Volume 1 is so good, I've already ordered Vol. 2!!

Having never read a Spider-Man comic before, I feel I am not entirely best placed to offer comparisons to earlier offerings in the Spider-Verse, but I can compare it and critique it against comics I've read in other properties, such as X-Men, Deadpool/Cable, Snowpiercer and Heroes. The first thing that really impresses me is the artwork, it is genuinely unlike anything I've seen in my comic reading, and one thing that particularly stands out is Pichelli's use of characters eyes and facial expressions to really pull the reader in. Now, generally I find myself paying attention to the visual art of a comic, sometimes I can be reading a below par story/dialogue but still appreciate the artwork (see some Deadpool/Cable early issues), but this book has not only sublime visual depth but also an engaging and gripping plot.

As introductions to superheroes go, it is simply wonderful. Mile's first appears briefly in Ultimate Comics Fallout, but when he then gets a full introduction to us in this book, we meet him with his family (mum and dad, plus a mysterious uncle), his friends (Ganke in particular is my new fave secondary character) and we get some Director Fury thrown in there too. As a 28 year old man, I find myself confused as to why I relate to where Mile's is at in his life and why I'm so excited to read this teenagers tales in high school and as a young hero. It's a little different to my usual comic reading habits to tell you the truth but as I alluded to earlier it has been a pleasant surprise. In the past I have steered clear of Spider-Man comics, because my impression is it's predominantly focused on high school and a teenager flying round wisecracking and defeating animal based villains, and it has never appealed to me in terms of reading (movies is different).

What I'd heard about Miles Morales over the years, meant it was very intriguing to me and its groundbreaking place in comics history lead me to finally get round to reading it. It is in no way 'teenage' or 'childish', by my reckoning (and in agreement with the blurb on the back of the book) it can appeal to all ages and either regular comics readers or newcomers. It's a must read!!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 20 May 2012
Bendis took Spider,an in ultimate spiderman years ago and breathed fresh life into a tired character. He took a cliched and overused Spidey and made home current and relevant, then killed him off. Now, we're presented with an all new Spiderman in the form of a very young Miles Morales.

impossibly Bendis has pulled off the same trick twice. We're given a bang up to date, all new Spidey, with all the proper problems and insecurities that made the original Spidey so appealing. Go but this, you'll love it.
on 15 January 2016
came in perfect condition, very happy with it!
on 21 February 2014
As i first heard about a new spider-man from a different ethnicity, i was intrigued about this development as i dreamt of spider-man being a different ethnicity. When i first read this, i found myself be impressed with this new spider-man as he is a different character with a different point of view in life which has yet to be explored and i also liked his powers, as he has similar but different powers that the original lacked and i find them to be pretty cool. However, i felt that Peter Parker the original spider-man did not have to die just to introduce a new character and i did not like that fact that he is at a young age. Other than that, i give this a highly recommended buy or read.
on 31 July 2015