Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 September 2015
As other reviews noted, this is not a "useful phrases for your holiday" kind of book, but rather one for those who really want to understand how Serbian grammar works. I have been using it for self-study as I will soon be going to Belgrade for some months.

There are 15 chapters, moving from complete beginner to intermediate. Some dialogues and exercises are in Cyrillic, but most of the book is in the Latin alphabet. As far as I can tell looking ahead, it covers all the grammar you will need for everyday conversations. It moves fast so it's necessary to do extra vocabulary memorising etc. by yourself as you go along. However, the grammar is explained comprehensively (sometimes overwhelmingly so).

The CDs have audio recordings of the dialogues at the beginning of each chapter. I do feel that the authors maintained a sense of humour while writing the dialogues (romance! intrigue!) which always helps. There are unfortunately no listening comprehension exercises, only reading/writing exercises.

If you just want the alphabets and simple phrases, it's easy to find that online or in phrasebooks. If you are serious about learning Serbian, this is the book for you. A pity it seems to be so hard to obtain, but I managed to snag a used copy for £20.
on 5 April 2014
Although it starts where complete beginners (like me) are, it goes much further than I need, which is to be able to read street names and manage a few simple sentences for a weeks holiday in Montenegro. Good for those who want a thorough grounding in the language though. Two CDs came with it, which I consider an essential feature.
on 7 June 2010
In the past I have bought several courses in languages, some by Assimil, some by Teach Yourself, some by Colloquial, and I have liked them all, and I like this brand as well, by Hippocrene. I think it's a serious book, with very good explanations, comprehensive grammar.
on 28 March 2014
Really good to have CDs although it would be good if the individual tracks had the titles embedded so that when you rip the CD to your phone or laptop then you can see which exercise is which. I had to go through and rename each one manually which took ages. This problem is the same for other publishers so not unique to Hippocrene.
If you are a paper quality nerd then you will be happy because the pages are solid quality paper.
The steps are much more logical than other publications and the vocab and exercise (so far at least) have been consistent and clear.
It is very easy to break into separate projects which suits my learning style. I can learn a bit...go away...come back and learn some more.
Finally there is a developing story through the book in the form of the conversations, these involve a woman called Gordana who is visiting Serbia. As her adventures continue your knowledge increases, quite nice to have the same characters cropping up again and again as this feels like there is something linking all the various academic bits you have to contend with as part of the learning.
Anyway I don't know if it was intentionally comical or not but the stories had me greatly entertained. Gordana seems to be such a pain in the behind that I am actually looking forward to what was going to happen in each subsequent episode.
Perhaps the finale will have Gordana bundled into a plane back to Boston by her exasperated Serbian hosts.