on 13 May 2010
This book my not teach you everything you need to know, but it teaches you the basics very well and in the style of language that is spoken today.

I have a few other lithuanina books. Teach Yourself Lithuanian Book/CD Pack (Teach Yourself Complete Courses) and Colloquial Lithuanian: The Complete Course for Beginners (Colloquial Series). Both these books have been laughed at by my Lithuanina friends who advise my to get rid of them. As they say its like trying to learn english by reading shakespear. Not that the books are well written but that the language used in them is old fashioned and outdated.

Enough about the other books. This book is much better it has a Lithuanina - English dictionary; an English - Lithuanina dictionary, both of which have the same words in, something the other books dont. Plus easy to learn phrases that you can and do use in everyday situations. Plus a few you might not.

In short. If you want to learn lithuanian and are a beginner then you cant go wrong with this book.
33 Comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 February 2012
I am Lithuanian citizen and bought the book for my boyfriend. Lithuanian language can be a very difficult one to learn and this is a helpful and well priced book.

It is useful as it is not too big (size wise) but covers all the major topics and is easy to carry around and use in daily conversations.
on 27 November 2011
I have found this to be a very useful and straightforward book to use. It has helped me from the english point of view and a lithuanian persons view point enabling us to communicate with each other. Definitely worth buying.
on 27 December 2016
After struggling through several Christmas holidays with my wife's Lithuanian family, I decided I needed to help myself a bit more rather than constantly relying on her to translate everything and this book did not disappoint. I used the dictionary everywhere and found the phrases at the back particularly useful. I discovered by using the book everyday, I quickly picked up new words and could also understand the gist of what was being said back to me. All in all, my wife and her family were very impressed with my sudden improvement and I could not recommend this book enough to anyone in a similar position.
on 24 May 2013
This is a very useful dictionary. Although I was a little disappointed with how little grammar is in it, and how short the dictionary section is compared to the phrasebook in the back, the dictionary itself is incredibly useful, and tells you which declension (for nouns and adjectives) or conjugation (for verbs) the words are in, which is incredibly useful if you're a beginner in Lithuanian. Also, while I would have liked it to be more detailed, the grammar at the front of the dictionary is a quick and fairly simple breakdown of Lithuanian's basic grammar rules.
on 24 July 2011
I think the book is confused between being a language teaching book and a phrase book. More than half of the books is taken up with Lithuanian grammar which is very complicated. Unless you're a linguist or very interested in grammar and language this bit is just very confusing and totally over the top of a week's holiday.

The phrases that I needed weren't always easy to find or in fact there. Also it is in American English so at times I couldn't find words in the dictionary part of the book because I was looking them up British English.

It was the only book I could find though and I did get use out of it. I would have preferred the grammar section to be replaced with more useful phrases and the book to have been slightly smaller. Also it would have been useful to have the pronounciation of the phrases written out phonetically.
on 18 February 2013
i love the dual purpose book as sometimes it helps to learn a complete phrase as opposed to a word at a time...... handy for this and small enough to keep in your handbag, which I do
on 7 October 2014
The phrasebook is useful, especially as it indicates stress, but I had to buy the larger Practical Dictionary for all the principal parts of the verbs (which are essential in order to conjugate them properly).
on 30 June 2012
My wife and I bought this book to help us on a trip to Lithuania. It proved to be of very little help. The layout is chaotic. In trying to be a dictionary and a phrase book it has ended up being inadequate in both. The dictionary is particularly bad and we often found that words appearing on posters, street signs and other notices were not in the dictionary. Not what we would have expected of a half decent dictionary and very frustrating indeed!!
on 29 May 2016
Another American publication, so beware of those spelling mistakes. Otherwise good and helpful.