on 28 October 2014
Fair enough. But folks writing dictionary-and-phrasebooks really do need to look at the "Get By In" model. If nothing exists at this level, you need to write it/ publish it before something at this level. For example, tenses: you really only need to provide the present tense. Or at least, for IE languages. Look at the essentials: "Yesterday, yesterday I sick". "Tomorrow we go to X ". "Please you give me X". Sure, one step on, being able to be more nuanced, more fluent is fine. But the essentials need to be there first.

The 'get by in' editors really do seem to have grasped what is needed. Not quite, excatly, what I need ("is it OK to take photos in this museum?" isn't one of their key phrases). But the people in Latvia are lovely, and guesture worked fine.
on 4 January 2014
Justwhat I expected.A nice surprise for my grandaughter who is learning latvian.She was very happy with it, so was I.
on 6 January 2013
I liked the book which has some useful grammar and reference sections including English - Latvian. Problem? The dictionary part is pretty limited and you find yourself having to go online for much translation. Great on customs and,if a little more detailed would earn an extra star. So far, Teach yourself Latvian is more informative (and includes a CD for the all important pronounciation)
on 3 December 2015
Exactly the right sort of book I was searching for to give to my granddaughter. She has expressed an interest in researching her Latvian heritage side, with maybe a visit to Latvia. This book will not only give her the words she needs as she starts to study the language here in Australia, but the phrase section will be a bonus
on 26 May 2016
Present for brother's holiday.