on 2 September 2008
Slovak-English/English-Slovak Dictionary and Phrasebook (Hippocrene Dictionary & Phrasebook)
This book is rubbish and is not brilliant at all as the previous customer said. Don't buy this book if you want to learn our language but if you want to learn silly/incorrect pronunciation go for it. I like our language and I'm really good in writing/speaking/listening/reading in Slovak.
I've bought this book as a present for my English partner because of brilliant feedback but I was very disappointed as this book is not good at all and you won't learn correct Slovak language. This book is 1/4 incorrect as phrases and words are translated wrong from/to Slovak language. I will write a complain letter to author for writing / publishing wrong information.
This book doesn't explain correctly how to pronounce letters or words
At the end of the day how the author could be right if is not Slovak origin, at least he could give it to somebody educated from Slovakia to double check it before publishing.

P.S .Previous customer,please note that High Tatras are not in west but North East of Slovakia as I come from High Tatras-Poprad city.
33 Comments| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 September 2008
I agree with the second review. My line manager bought a few of these dictionaries for use in our school (I am an EAL TA). These dictionaries are rubbish. I am a native Slovak speaker and I found quite a lot of grammatical and spelling mistakes in these dictionaries. Remember that wrong spelling may completely change the meaning of the word. I guess it's ok as a phrase book for somebody who wants to know how to ask for beer in Slovakia, but if you are serious about learning Slovak language don't buy this junk!
on 11 June 2010
Printed on a dot matrix printer then stuck into a cover. No pictures or other things I would associate with a Phrase book. It did have dictonary although not comprehensive. I used the book as I was working in Slovakia with Slovak labour, I wanted the wiring to be tidy and the closest I got was pretty, but it got the idea across. Useful Slovak phrase not in the book 'Ps taff Ka' which is their equilivent of 'Tea break'.
on 2 March 2003
I found this book fantastic. On visiting Slovakia, I found this book extremely useful. My only criticisim of it is that a very few words are not exactly accurate, & as it is written in the USA, it sometimes seems geared towards an American audience when explaining something about the country. The content matter is perfect, it has a dictionary from English to Slovak & visa-versa at the back, & at the beginning explains clearly & easily how certain letters should be said. I've now been studying Slovak for 2 months having bought this book previously, & I still find it useful.
It is very hard to get any Slovak books in the UK, but trust me, this one is the one you want to buy, it far excels the lonely planet central european phrasebooks Slovak chapter & is small enough to carry around without you noticing. If you are on of the many traveling to High Tatras in Western Slovakia to ski, you will need a phrasebook at some point... make sure its this one!!
on 29 April 2010
I bought this book for my b/f so he could somehowe communicate with my family when on trip to Slovakia. Its a bit dated and on many occassions the words he used had me in stitches.....great buy though...
on 18 September 2011
I have ordered this book on several occasions, firstly for myself as an English person and then for several Slovak people I have met. They thought it would help them with going to the doctor's etc. For me it helps communication with Slovak people to a limited degree. It's certainly a good introduction to the language.
on 26 August 2014
Whilst it covered the necessary vocabulary there is no assistance with pronunciation
on 14 November 2011
This dictionary and phrasebook provides a handy reference.

If you're trying to learn the language, as i am you will want a more complete dictionary, but the phrases are useful, and its a convenient size to carry around.

The phrases cover a wide range of tourist settings such as ordering in a restaurant, and provides the words for a lot of different things you might want to order.
on 11 August 2014