Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 4 March 1999
I am quite surprised to see all the glowing reviews here for this book. Don't get me worng, I enjoyed reading about Leah and Jackson, but I did not think this was 5 star material. The plot was interesting, with a few levels not usually found in romance novels. I liked Ms. Wigg's use of Cassie as a character and her role in the plot. I do not have much of a psychological back ground, but I would have liked to have seen a more in depth view of what made her tick. Ms. Wiggs gave me enough to keep me interested, but I would have liked to become absorbed.
Leah and Jackson obviously have a lot of baggage to sort thru, and eventually they did, but something just seemed to be missing. I wish I could put my finger directly on the problem, but I'm afraid I can't. They skirted each other, letting down their gaurds a little at a time, but it just seemed a little...brief. Again, I would have liked to have seen more. As with many romance novels today, I felt the end extremely rushed. The sherif's story, the Indians, our new female doctor and the marshall all seemed to rush together to end at once, with out a saticfactory explination. Oh, the explination was there, it just rushed by.
On the whole, this is not a bad book. If you want a time filler on the beach or on the ride to work, pick it up. If you're looking for in depth descriptions and an intricate plot, look elsewhere.
on 28 October 1998
This books was the first I have read by Susan Wiggs. I plan to read more by her. It was a great book
on 6 August 1998
Having never read anything by Wiggs before, I took a chance and ordered this one, expecting a run-of- the-mill story. I WAS WRONG! Thoroughly enjoyed the story, characterizations, and writing style of the author.
Was it the best book i've ever read? No. There were a couple of parts i ended up skimming, but it was definitely worth reading. I also look forward to reading other books by this author.
on 21 August 1998
This is a delightful story set in an unusual locale, Whidbey Island, WA. I read a lot of romances, and I'm happy to say, Leah and Jackson aren't your typical, cliched characters. I'm in awe at this wonderful book and intend to read it again. Ms. Wiggs can count me among her many fans.
on 26 March 1999
What a beautiful story, beautifully told. Two damaged people who make each other whole. Yes, I cried, but I also cheered in the end. Endearing characters.
on 15 March 1999
The Drifter is a grand illustration of the redeeming power of love. The hopes and dreams, the scars and flaws of the characters ring absolutely true. Susan writes with a pen dipped in poetry, and with full understanding of human pain. I loved her lady doctor and her "lost boy" hero. This is a keeper.
on 20 April 1998
In 1894 Rising Star, Texas, the town sheriff requests U.S. Marshal Joel Santana pursue escaped murderer Jackson Underhill and his wife Carrie. Though Joel feels there is more to this case than the local is letting on, he begins his chase to capture the outlaw. Jackson and Carrie manage to sail their dilapidated schooner to Whidbey Island, Washington, where he kidnaps Dr. Leah Mundy to tend to Carrie, who is very ill. It turns out that Carrie is three months pregnant, a fact that irritates Jackson. Though he feels guilty about leaving Leah's other patients without medical care, the desperate Jackson decides to force the doctor to accompany them to Canada so that she can continue to tend to Carrie.
Instead, Leah disables his schooner, forcing them to remain on Whidbey Island. Carrie loathes the small island town and flees with the first available wealthy man. This allows Jackson and Leah the time alone needed to fall in love. However, even after learning that Carrie has died, the law remains after him. Even more so, though Leah trusts, believes, and loves her man, he must surmount his traumatic past if they are to enjoy an enchanting future together
THE DRIFTER is former RITA award winner, Susan Wiggs at her absolutely best. The lead characters are a charming couple. Jackson will steal hearts with his melancholy past and Leah is a role model who does not allow gender to interfere with her dreams. The story line is fast, exhilarating, and romantically interesting. Readers who enjoy the blending of historical romance with bits of suspense will take great pleasure in Ms. Wiggs' latest offer, THE DRIFTER.
Harriet Klausner
on 22 June 2008
This was the first Susan Wiggs book I have ever read, and although to start with i was unsure of where the plot was taking me, after a while I was glad of this.
This book tells the story of love, that seems forbidden, and also a clever woman who knows so much about everything, except about her heart, and her own body. This book takes you on a journey through the mind of a young woman who feels like she can never live upto the standards expected of her partly as a daughter, and partly as a doctor.
This is a great book, and well worth a read. Once you 'get into' this book it is a captivating read!
on 11 June 1998
As an avid book reader from Whidbey Island, and only 10 miles from Coupeville, I hardly recognized the places Susan Wiggs claims to be her Coupeville. My reading group decided to pick this as the book for June and we were all sorely unimpressed. Not only is her research on the local area almost nonexistent but the literary style rates a low mark for lack of description, lack of an inner voice to propel the story, but is too trite and formulamatic to be at all interesting. Would never read another of this kind again.
on 20 June 1998
What more can you ask for in a book--romance, adventure, passion, tragedy, and triumph. One of the best books I've read all year. Leah and Jackson are a wonderful pair, each damaged by the past yet determined to reclaim the future. It's an unusual time frame and unusual setting for a romance, but that made it all the more interesting to me. The wonderful descriptions left me breathless!