My Soul to Take
Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 3 January 2016
I desperately wanted to love this series; I'd heard such great things and adored Vincent's previous Shifters series. Sadly, this one wasn't for me.

The concept is strong. Teenage girls are dying suddenly with no apparent cause of death. Kaylee knew though. She knew they would die. Not how, not why, but she felt it all the same. So fiercely that a scream begins to bubble up in her throat every time that mysterious dark shadow surrounds the next victim.

I really enjoyed the initial delivery and was instantly hooked. Although the world building is lacking, the character development is enjoyable and I liked Kaylee and her friends. The relationships were highly predictable, and the insta-love was frustrating, but I actually didn't mind this because the mystery shrouding Kaylee and what could be causing her premonitions was so exciting that I forgot about it.

Sadly, the plot is heavily character driven with pages of dialogue and not a lot of anything else causing the story to progress slowly. Equally, even when some of the mysteries began to unravel, I felt like the details were largely brushed over and the ideas never fully explored. To me, Rachel Vincent really misses a fantastic opportunity by doing this to pull the reader in and make them invested in an exciting new world or ability.

This felt like a disappointing take on what could have been a really engaging new idea. The lack of relevant or engaging explanation felt amateur when Vincent really isn't, perhaps in an effort to be attractive to younger readers, and the slow plot (since everything was revealed very early in the book leaving little room for development) just left it feeling flat and unoriginal; this could have been any number of books of the same genre. Unfortunately, this won't be a series taking pride of place on my shelves. I do highly recommend Vincent's more mature YA series; don't write her off if you didn't enjoy this one.
on 27 October 2013
I read this book last year and I know I really liked it so I don't know why at the time I only gave it 3*s.

I was a big fan of the Twilight series and was recommended this book by Goodreads. I thought I would give it a go. After reading My Soul to Lose I quickly started this one. I remember being hooked and needing to read more and more. As I was a bit behind it meant that I could devour the series quite quickly (which I did). Rachel had me completely and utterly at her mercy for the entire of the month. As soon as I finished one I started the next. I just couldn't get enough of this series.

So if you don't know Kaylee is a bean sidhe (pronounced banshee). Except she doesn't know, and she doesn't know how to control her ability. That is until the High School hottie takes an interest in her and seems to know more about it than she did. It was great to watch their relationship develop throughout this book.

Kaylee is a pretty average high school girl. She's not in the popular crowd but she's not in the geeky unpopular crowd she surfs somewhere inbetween. She's a pretty likeable character and you feel pretty sorry for her when she can't control all this screaming.

I love Nash. I always imagine him to look a bit like Nate from Gossip Girl aka Chase Crawford. He plays sports, he's the most popular guy in the school, who wouldn't love him?

Then you throw in his `dead' brother. Except he's still around. How does that work you ask? Well Tod is a reaper, you know a Grim Reaper with the black cloak and the scythe. Well they don't really have black cloaks and scythe's but you get the idea. I can already tell that Tod is going to be trouble.

This was a great read and I as soon as I finished this I started My Soul to Save. A fantastic YA fantasy/paranormal book.
on 31 July 2012
So, I finally finished My Soul to Take after I've had the book for over a year. *cringe* Initially, I started around 12 months ago, but life sidetracked me, along with the Black Dagger Brotherhood, and my flighty mind misbehaved. Anyhoo, thanks to strong encouragement from Lolita of K-Books when I was trying to decide on my next read, I picked it back up again--though I did go all the way back to the beginning.

And I'm glad I did.

No, this doesn't quite have the kick-a$$ persona to it we get from Rachel's adult series'. And no, it didn't have her usual tension until around 85%.

However, there is no denying the author's ability to create extremely cute guys (or hot blokes), and sensual tension, and great relationship dynamics, and intrigue.

Though I will say, I kind of saw a fair bit of it coming. No, I didn't guess for one minute who was behind it all. I'd have a liked a little more depth to that maybe--or even a recap from her dad/uncle of the conversations happening around her when she was unable to hear (being cryptic on purpose for spoiler-free reasons)--but the revelation still left me surprised. I also had my suspicions pretty early on about a certain relationship that later comes to attention--but still, suspecting it to be so didn't really ruin it for me when it turned out to be so; it was more a case of self-smugness for being right.

I think my biggest gripe in here was that there were places where the pacing felt a little off, because there was some inconsistency to that, which meant some scenes seemed to drag on a little bit too long--but that didn't really mar my enjoyment of the read. Rachel has created a unique addition to the paranormal genre, and I absolutely loved how she handled that. Because this author is awesome at world building--seriously awesome. I've yet to read one of her tales where I didn't understand, where I didn't `get it'. Every aspect of Kaylee's gift, I followed with ease; every time she/they were performing, I understood exactly what was happening; and (just like all her other titles) I knew just where these `beings' stood amongst the human world. Rachel Vincent deserves commendation for that.

So, yes, I enjoyed it even though I'd have preferred the pace to be a bit brisker. And yes, I am planning to read on.

Though my Goodreads rating was actually 3.75, I've rounded it up to:
on 7 February 2012
Kaylee Cavanaugh has a big secret. One that already led her to a mental institution after screaming like crazy in the middle of a shopping mall.
But somehow she knows she is not nuts. She knows, deep inside her, that she feels something when someone is about to die... Or at least that's what she needs to believe because the only other option is just too frightening...

Her questions finally get an answer from the most unexpected person: Nash Hudson, the handsome and popular guy at her school who knows everything. Despite her initial doubts about him, Kaylee decides to risk it after Nash, in the middle of a meltdown, helped her control the scream that was trying to escape her mouth.

But her premonitions will come very handy when she learns that there's some kind of problem going on: the teenager she saw while talking with Nash at the bar is dead and she knew it was going to happen... and now another teenager just drop-dead too out of nowhere. Could it be possible that she can prevent them from dying? How can she do it when the only thing she does is scream her heart out every time she is close to them?!

Now there's only two questions left: is Kaylee ready to learn the truth about herself? Does she understands that by learning the truth a whole new world full of danger, premonitions and new questions will emerge?
Most importantly, is she ready to meet Tod?

Personal opinion:
Where to begin with? I think I'm still too amazed to be able to offer an impartial review. That's how GOOD and AMAZING it was. The whole concept that the soul songs encircle is so... romantic, so personal and sweet that it makes me smile; and that's the only little spoiler you are going to get from me, hopefully it will make you want to know what I'm talking about.

But first things first. The mythology surrounding My Soul to Take was not only refreshing but also perfectly developed and told. I've read already too many books about angels, werewolves and, obviously, vampires; and although I'm not going to stop reading about these amazing creatures I have to admit that the world Rachel Vincent has created captured me from page one.

Kaylee's screams make me ache for her, make me want to give her a tight hug and help her believe she wasn't crazy. But most important, I can't even explain how much I liked her strength and courage during the whole book. Now she only needs to improve her low self-esteem a little bit.

Now for the romance part of the book I have to admit -hands down- that Rachel did an amazing work. I mean, I can't even think of choosing between Nash or Tod. I may need to read more books or I may never know who to choose. So far all I can say is: Can I keep them both? Because together they would be the perfect combination.
In one side we have Nash, the handsome guy at her school that begins to talk to her for no apparent reason and guides her through her fears out of pure kindness. He is just too caring, sweet and hot.
Then we have Tod, the Tod I've been hearing about a lot and now I understand why. He is the bad-sexy-dark-handsome guy who has a soft spot that only shows to Kaylee.

To finish I want to say: If you haven't read this series yet order the books right now, all of them if you can, I assure you you are going to love them all.
on 11 January 2011
I've had a much-needed break from paranormal YA recently, and instead have been reading faerie fantasy and contemporary. I felt I just needed a break, and I think it's done me good. My Soul to Take is my first PNR read of the year, and what a good pick it was! Apart from breaking for sleep and breakfast, I read it straight through in an excitement-inducing frenzy. I had to know what happened, and this time it wasn't because of a hot fictional boy, though of course Nash was pretty darn attractive.

What I loved about My Soul to Take was the whole world Rachel Vincent created. The bean sidhes, the reapers, the Netherworld: it was all fascinating, and completely new to me. I'd never read anything concerning soul screamers before this, and it was brilliant to come at it from a fresh viewpoint. I had nothing to compare it to like I find myself doing with vampire/werewolf stories. This was innovative and different, and I now see why everyone has been raving about the series since its US publication.

Aside from a brief bout of irritating neurotic self-diagnosing, Kaylee was a great character. She was fierce and intelligent, and took the truth about her life rather well. Maybe a bit too well, some might say. Who cares though? She accepted it and moved on, rather than whining about it for 50 pages. So there's yet another mold broken, thanks to some clever writing and characterisation. Like Kelley Armstrong declares on the cover, Rachel Vincent really is a welcome addition to the genre. A very welcome addition.

Nash, Kaylee's love interest, also has a few secrets of his own. He helps Kaylee deal with what she is, and their relationship is quite realistic on the whole. It's fast, yes, but it's seems more believable somehow. There are no googly eyes for chapters at a time, rather they acknowledge their attraction and get on with it. There's more important things occuring than their budding relationship like, y'know, teenage girls dropping dead every day. For once the main characters have their priorities in order. Rejoice!

My favourite part of My Soul to Take was Tod and the reapers. I cannot wait to find out more about them in future instalments; they were exactly what I like in a book: captivating mysteries waiting to be solved. I have a feeling there's a lot left to learn about reapers, especially where trades and exchanges are concerned. In fact, can we not just have a whole book dedicated to them? Is there one? Sneaky spoilers can be emailed directly to me... ;)

If you haven't read this book yet, go and get yourself a copy. Now. It's so worth reading, just for the genius focus on bean sidhes and grim reapers. I can't wait to read My Soul to Save, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Rachel Vincent, you now have a new fan, and an impatient one at that!

4.5/5
|0Comment|Report abuse
My Soul to take is the first installement of the Soul Screamers Series and My God what an amazing read. I devoured this book in about 10 hours. If I didn't have to eat, look after my son and have toilet breaks (lol) I would have probably finished it alot quicker. It was so addictive and totally different it just gripped my imagination and refused to let go.

The story is different to anything I have read before as it about Banshee or Bean Sidhe as its spelt in the book. I was wary at first when I first heard about this book. However, after reading so many positive reviews and I was excited and had high hope and was not disappointed at all.

My Soul to Take is about a girl called Kaylee who has "panic attacks". However, they aren't panic attacks they are premonition when she knows someone is going to die. (Not really a spoiler as this is in the description). Kaylee thinks she is going crazy and everything slowly unravels and secrets and revealed. And in the processed Kaylee falls in love with Nash, who isn't who he seems.

There are a few really great and unexpected twists and turns I truely never seen coming and I am really looking forward to the next installement.

Also in the back of the UK edition we have a wonderful and very interesting exclusive: Netherworld Surival Guide which has description of some of the things found in Netherworld

This is my first Rachel Vincent novel and I look forward to reading more of her novels.
One person found this helpful
on 15 January 2011
I LOVED this book from beginning to end. Right from the start I was absolutely hooked by the original and unique plot and Rachel Vincent's easy, sassy writing style. I love anything with mythology or folklore at the heart of the story and My Soul To Take is packed with both. I've heard the term Banshee before, mostly in relation to loud-mouthed women, but that's as much as I knew. Vincent's take on the Banshee, or Bean Sidhe, was like a fascinating breath of fresh air.

Along with the intriguing plot lines, what really drove this book for me was the sassy and fast paced writing style and dialogue between characters. Kaylee herself has a tragic enough past that's easy to sympathise with, but she's just the right amount of feisty and strong as to not become a victim - or too snarky it borders on aggressive (something that really turns me off about a character). Kaylee's best friend Emma made a big impact on me despite having a pretty minor role, as did Emma's mum who we only meet through telephone conversations but sounds like a great character. I'd love to see more from them in future instalments.

There's plenty of mystery in there too: Why are the girls dying? What's her dad doing in Ireland rather than with his abandoned daughter? And of course what is it that Nash knows about Kaylee and her wailing abilities? I couldn't work out if he was a good guy or bad, but really loved the interactions between the two. Mostly this is an unpredictable book and despite trying to guess where things were headed, I had no idea. There is one plot twist I did guess involving Tom, (a reaper!) however this didn't affect my enjoyment of the book at all and he remains one of the most intriguing characters in the book.

There's a lot to like about My Soul To Take. It's fresh, it's different, it's fast paced and punchy, packed with mystery and mythology. I have one gripe, which isn't to do with Rachel Vincent's writing but the tag line on the front of the book saying `Twilight fans will love it'. Sure, they probably will. But this book is nothing like Twilight, in my opinion it's better and I'm pretty certain people who didn't love Twilight will very much enjoy this book too! My Soul To Take is in a class of it's own. I loved every page, couldn't put the book down and can't wait for the next instalment released in February this year here in the UK. If you're a fan of YA paranormal but feeling a little burned out, then this is definitely the book for you.
on 8 July 2011
I read My Soul to Lose, the prequel to the Soul Screamers series, a while ago and couldn't wait to read this book. But just as I was about to order it, Rachel announced the cover art for the UK version and, as you can see above, it's gorgeous! So I forced myself to wait so I could get the nicer covers. I'm a tad cover obsessed when it comes to my books.

The wait did not disappoint. This is a great first book for the series, although I'm finding it difficult to say anything about the book here without giving away spoilers. Normally I gauge it by what the blurb says and the blurb here does not give a lot away! And I don't like to give spoilers away in a review.

So all I'm going to say is that Kaylee is a great character, as is Nash. They're well written and the story is great. I've read all of Rachel's Shifters series and love her as an author, her writing style is flawless and I basically read this book in one sitting. She writes a great story and manages to make me laugh as well.

I am currently about to download Reaper which is another Soul Screamers novella that the lovely Rachel Vincent is offering for free. Isn't she a lovely person?

So yeah, sorry I couldn't tell you a lot about the story but I don't want to spoiler people so blame the person that wrote the blurb! But a must read for all YA fantasy fans.
on 19 May 2011
I'd heard a lot about this series over twitter (I follow Rachel Vincent) and I enjoyed reading the shifter series, so I thought I'd give it a go. My first impression was that the UK cover is much nicer than the American cover (even if we did have to wait like an extra 18months to get the book) and that this seemed- as is becoming the case with Rachel Vincent- to be sliiiiightly different from other books in it's genre, but similar enough to still be recognised and enjoyed as such.

I must admit I *was* a bit sceptical of Nash's intentions at first...sure he was going to end up being a bad guy or something similar, and I'm still a bit unsure about how quickly their relationship developed, and how cliche it started off...average American teen lusts after attractive but ultimately unattainable adolescent-oh but wait no, he feels just the same, and more than that he knows you better than you know yourself...and it was a liiiiitle bit like that, but different enough that I forgive it. However it does seem to me as though he likes her more for *what* she is, rather than *who* she is, but I guess it could be argued the two are so closely linked it doesn't really matter....but that's a philosophical debate for another day. It's not as though he likes her cause she's a cheerleader or anything...anyway, back to the book.

Another thing I wasn't sure about was how accepting her best friend was of the whole situation. I thought "surely that's not how a person would react!" but then I like to think if my best friend told me she was a bean sidhe (banshee, that's what Kaylee is, incase you didn't figure that bit out yet) I'd believe her and be totally supportive too, especially if I'd seen her in action like Emma has seen Kaylee.

I did figure out a couple of the minor twists, but sometimes I like to think that authors put kinda obvious minor twists in, so whilst you're busy congratulating yourself on one-upping them, they sneak up behind you and whack you round the head with a HUUUUUGE plot point you might have noticed if you weren't too busy being smug about how clever you are. This happens to me ALL the time, but to be honest, I enjoy it. No point reading a predictable book. Twists are half the fun, and figuring out the minor twists are also fun, its a winwin.

I thought the story itself was great, well paced with a strong plotline and interesting, fully developed characters which is another thing Rachel Vincent is good at. You never get the impression with her that a character is there simply to flesh the story out, or act as a vessel for another character. You can imagine her thinking up intricate back-stories for every person in her stories, and I appreciate that.

I'd give this book 4/5, and I can't wait for the second one to be delivered! Which I'm hoping will be tomorrow. Or technically later today...
One person found this helpful
on 1 July 2014
This book was...wow!

Apart from what the synopsis says, I had no idea what this book was about. Therefore I was surprised as to how much I loved it.

It was unlike any other paranormal book I have read - not the typical 'creatures' that are in books at the moment, which I thought was refreshing.

I loved the characters Nash, Kaylee and Tod. I wasn't expecting the revelation at the end as to who Tod really is - I would love to get to know him better and learn more about him.

It was an amazing way to start off the series and I am now excited to read the next book.(